Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I find it pretty unlikely that the company would intentionally commit or condone fraud, I think your experiences are more probably the result of incompetence vs. malfeasance.

If you want to continue to use Pilot/Flying J you can join their Good Sam/RV Plus program that allows you to charge purchases directly at the pump (even the truck pumps) without going inside. You get the 'cash' price, plus a discount of a few cents per gallon... which isn't much considering that they are usually overpriced by a few cents per gallon, but at least it more-or-less nets things out. It also cuts their dump fee in half.
Works for me.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #16

The Good Sam/RV Plus Program is designed for RV'ers. It is not a credit card as the balance is paid off monthly with no interest charged. You are required to enter a PIN number to use it. There is no set dollar limit when you use it at the pump and they offer a discount for using it. You have to join Good Sam. Good Sam costs $20 a year. Pilot/Flying J may not have the cheapest gas prices but they are catering to the RV crowd by providing services such as dump stations, fresh water, propane, overnight parking. I don't see other stations doing that. So I will patronize Pilot/Flying J as I am an RV er who uses their services. The bashers are entitled to shop wherever they please, but just remember your opinions next time you use Pilot/Flying J services.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
The Good Sam/RV Plus Program is designed for RV'ers. It is not a credit card as the balance is paid off monthly with no interest charged. You are required to enter a PIN number to use it. There is no set dollar limit when you use it at the pump and they offer a discount for using it. You have to join Good Sam. Good Sam costs $20 a year. Pilot/Flying J may not have the cheapest gas prices but they are catering to the RV crowd by providing services such as dump stations, fresh water, propane, overnight parking. I don't see other stations doing that. So I will patronize Pilot/Flying J as I am an RV er who uses their services. The bashers are entitled to shop wherever they please, but just remember your opinions next time you use Pilot/Flying J services.
Well said my sentiments exactly! We use the RV Plus program exclusively when possible. Takes all the cc compromises out of the equation.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Well said. Sometimes there's more to consider than a .05 cent/gallon difference.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree. Those that need such services can pay for them in that way. If you P/FJ-dock it is a win.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The problem is PFJ is no longer issuing the rewards/fuel discount only cards and will stop honoring them, including the pump start feature, effective 1/1/15. They will continue offering the RV Plus charge card.

The replacement for PFJ's rewards/discount cards will be the Swipe & Save Good Sam Club Membership card
Instant Discounts on Fuel with New SWIPE & SAVE Card | Good Sam Club News
Yep, and the confusion and stupidity goes on and on. They can't get the current rewards program running correctly, even at the stations they own, and now they're going to try to run something new??? This whole effort has been a joke since Flying J went under and Pilot picked up the bones. The "few" cents differences quoted by some are actually 15 to 20 cents a gallon, and people don't seem motivated to even find out that this is so, yet they vociferously defend the company and their latest brainstorm. If you want to deal with these guys and their ongoing string of poor ideas run with great confusion, fine, but I'll stick to Gas Buddy and pocket my $25 savings at each fill up.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #21

We use GASBUDDY to find the best price for diesel as we travel. WE NEVER USE PILOT OR LOVES.
Best Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Use cash...on long trips we save up and store about $2500 in the safe. I take in approx what I think it'll take plus $50. Hard to get taken for mor than $50 bucks or so, and I get the cash discount on diesel.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Has any one tried Gas buddy.com I use it around home and its great, I can find the cheaper stations and its free
This is the order that I use the 4 apps that I have on my phone:
My DAT Trucker Services - Trucker Apps: My DAT Trucker Services | CDLLife
GasBuddy - GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy Mobile Applications
Love's - Love's Connect
Pilot/Flying J - Pilot Flying J

We go where the lowest price for diesel is. Sometimes that's the mom and pop places and sometimes it's a Love's or Pilot/Flying J.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #24

Pick 10 P/FJ locations on GasBuddy. You will see a sizeable difference. Take 3c off for cash.
Brand loyalty is amazing
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
On our trip for a month out west: All pay at the pump's shut off at $75.00 - $125.00, Truck lanes - take card inside and they hold it till I am done fueling......
Others - take card inside put $500.00 on the card to pump....done pumping and amount is $375.00..... employee hits done.....gives me a slip for $375.00. The "biggest" thing is to call and tell card company "not" to allow the computers to shut off my card under no circumstances while I am on my vacation(give them the time frame) and I will monitor my cards activity online everyday or so and call them if I see a problem and report it.........no problem after talking to them.
Credit Card companies/banks do not set a spending limit per transaction. I emailed Discover and Mastercard with that question of spending limits at the gas pump. Both replied it is counter to their business to limit how much you can spend at one time, we make our money from how much you charge to your card.
Both went further to say any spending cap is set by the merchant and/or their CC processing company to limit their liability.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The "few" cents differences quoted by some are actually 15 to 20 cents a gallon ...
The full credit price can be that much, but with the RV Plus card you get the cash price plus an additional .06 discount which brings the difference down to pennies. I wonder how much the Quickie Mart would have to charge if they provided overnight parking, propane, dump facilities, etc.

If you don't need these facilities then fine, but others do any don't mind paying a few cents per gallon for them. Either choice is just fine.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Credit Card companies/banks do not set a spending limit per transaction. I emailed Discover and Mastercard with that question of spending limits at the gas pump. Both replied it is counter to their business to limit how much you can spend at one time, we make our money from how much you charge to your card.
Both went further to say any spending cap is set by the merchant and/or their CC processing company to limit their liability.
I should of explained my comment a little better, it was not my credit cards that shut down the pumps it is the fuel islands at all the different places and the dollar amount that it shuts off at($$ per transaction) is different from one company to the next. loves- $125.00 pump shut down, insert card again pump another $125.00, insert card again....see cashier....put cap on and left, Flying j..... card in , pump $75.00 shut down, insert card again pump another $75.00....shut down, insert card for the 3rd time....see cashier.....cap on and left(1/2 full) after this .....truck islands every time. All the different fuel stations have set limits (auto & RV islands) that the pumps will shut off at and allow two times to pump before having to go inside to talk with the attendant. I asked the people in the marketing dept. at the Refinery/gas station where I work and their pumps shut down at $75.00 using a card. Truck islands after going inside ......fuel till its full and go in and get slip and roll..... no more RV islands or auto islands for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Funny thing, when I need diesel fuel I stop and fill up. I try and use PFJ, but I'll use anything that is available. I don't seem to worry about the pennies or the dollars, i just get fuel. I don't particularly like leaving my CC at the service desk, but if that is what it takes, that is what I do. I monitor my CC statement on-line and any discrepancy at the end of the day would be reported to my CC institution. Fortunately I have never had a problem with any cc in the many decades of using one. Knocking on wood.

I enjoyed using the PFJ pump start. I recently applied and recieved the RV card and intend on using it when on the road - if PFJ is available. Other wise it is any station that is near by.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel