Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yep, and the confusion and stupidity goes on and on. They can't get the current rewards program running correctly, even at the stations they own, and now they're going to try to run something new??? This whole effort has been a joke since Flying J went under and Pilot picked up the bones. The "few" cents differences quoted by some are actually 15 to 20 cents a gallon, and people don't seem motivated to even find out that this is so, yet they vociferously defend the company and their latest brainstorm. If you want to deal with these guys and their ongoing string of poor ideas run with great confusion, fine, but I'll stick to Gas Buddy and pocket my $25 savings at each fill up.
I spoke to PFJ today and the main reason they are dropping their rewards/frequent fueler cards is because of some OTR truckers acquiring the cards, activating the pump start feature, fueling and then driving off without paying. Unfortunately they said some RVers were doing the same thing, but they're much easier to track down.

Years ago I managed a trucking company with 85 owner operators. Most of them were single truck owners just operating their own rig with a co-driver. However some thought they could get rich by purchasing additional rigs and putting hired drivers in them. The problem was the hired drivers usually didn't have much cash to their name let alone a credit card. So the owner would give cash advances to the drivers for fuel and other expenses.

I'm sure the same thing goes on today, so that hired driver gets his hands on a PFJ pump start card and drives off without paying and keeps the cash in his pocket. The owner of the truck settles with the driver at the end of the trip. If and when PFJ can find the offending truck, the driver is long gone and they have to try and collect from the owner.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Easily solved by eliminated the attendant. PAY AT THE PUMP!

I put 64.1 gal/$196 at the Rock HIll, SC FlyingJ on one credit card transaction, at the pump. No swiping the CC more than once.

BTW, I just drove to FL. Received 5% cash back, on my gas purchases, on my AAA Visa card.

On edit I'll add.........I've been shunning FJs and using the station accross the highway. I use the Rock Hill FJ for propane . This is a very lightly used FJ by RVs.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
I am probably one of the few that gave up my Flying J/Pilot discount cards to fill up across the road at a lower price and get the 5% cash discount on my CC statement. I have not been a satisfied customer since the Flying J merger so I quit doing business there. Prior to, I was a loyal Flying J customers, but those days are over. Sorry to hear of the CC "mistakes" going on there too now.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #32

We spend about four months a year on the road with a large diesel motorhome. Most of our travel is on the interstate system and I do not want to trek far off the interstate to save 5 cents a gallon. I also do not want to get involved in a station that is built on a small piece of real estate that involves a difficult turn around to exit. I do use gas buddy, but I find selections limited on the interstate system. I always use cash when fueling the motor home and have never been ripped. I have a debit card that reimburses me for cash machines, so no logistics problems there. I will drive my toad a couple of miles to save a little, but just not worth it with a 45,000 lb motor home. Never ever relinquish possession of that credit card at a station or restaurant, and do frequently monitor transactions. I don't carry a lot of cash, but I do have a cash protection device on my belt and the proper paper work and training to stay out of trouble. I have friends that will drive 20 miles to save $10, and that's their business.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel