Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
connecting wii

Hi Everyone

newbie here - and 'challenged'...

Trying to get the wii working in the Itasca 2009 Suncruiser IFK35P
I have the cord; which has three plugs; Red, Yellow, White.
At home, I plug this cord into the back of the TV

So two questions:
(1.) with the Suncruiser - which unit do I plug it into to; there is the DVD, there is the "box", and there is the TV?
(2.) and once knowing the above, how do I "release" the DVD, the "box", or the TV - as they are very firmly fixed!

THANK YOU for the help
regards, pdq
(peter)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with how your TV is mounted so can't give you specific directions on how to remove it but generally it takes a bit of doing to remove so you won't want to do it every time you want to connect. You'll want to remove it once, attach a patchcord, and then put it back in and leave it there.

The best place to connnect is at an auxiliary input jack on the TV. In my case I conected the three RCA cacbles (red-white-yellow) to the back of the TV. I then ran those cables out into a cabinet next to the TV, coiled them up, and added female butt connectors to them. Whenever I need to plug in any kind of device such as a camera or game system, I just unwind the cables and plug into them.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
paz

Many newer TVs also have jacks on the front or side of the TV. These will sometimes be hidden behind a door. If you can find the auxiliary plugs, you may need to go into your TV menu using your remote and select a new input. Check the manual for your TV to see what the auxiliary input is called.

If you don't have front or side plugs, then do as Cruzer suggests and attach the wires to the plugs in back. Leave them attached and just roll them up when not in use.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Best to plug it into the tv, but if the red/white/yellow jacks on one of the other units is more accessible, you should be able to use them instead. You just have to set the tv system to use those as the input source, e.g. set tv to use the DVD player if that is where the Wii is plugged. You might also have to set some switch on the DVD player, dpeending on the make & model of DVD.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most DVD players, especially if they are part of a surround sound system module, don't have auxiliary video input jacks like VCRs (remember them? ) do.

However, if you have a surround sound system you probably have a pair of auxiliary audio inputs that can be connected to your TV or satellite receiver. If you run a pair of RCA cables from your TV's "audio out" jacks you should be able to feed that audio to your surround sound system (assuming you have one) and connect to that auxiliary audio input. That way anything you play on the TV, such as off-air antenna broadcasts, satelite TV, or your wii will then be able to be played through the surround sound system - which will sound much better than the TV speakers.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Also...remember you need to affix the Wii "pickup bar" above or below the TV....might not be so easy in an RV.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you to everyone
really appreciate the help!
peter
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
There are two ways to connect a Wii depending on your cable. The one you are describing is the composite video/audio method. Some of these cables also include a SVHS connection as well as the Yellow Video connector. This method will provide standard TV quality like the analog broadcast TV. The other method is the Component Video/Audio cable. This method has five RCA connectors. Video connections are Red, Blue, Green while the audio is Red, and White. Don't know why they chose two Red connectors but they aren't hard to sort out. The Red audio connection is beside the only White one in the cable. Component Video has better resolution at 480P, mostly this is the cable shipped with the Wii.
In my coach I connected it directly to the TV and use the TV remote to select the component input. This puts the sound through the TV speakers instead of the surround system but the Wii is regular Stereo so it's not too bad. If your TV audio is somehow routed through the Surround system then the sound would be like watching TV. I bought an extra Wii Power Supply and Video/Cable to leave in the Coach so all I need to transfer from the stick house is the Wii, Controllers, and the light bar.

Dick
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Everyone

...part II of connecting the wii...

really appreciate the help - but need more advice:
- bought a RCA barrel connector (male to male)
- using it, connected the wii cable (3 connector / plug ends) to the satellite cables (5 connector/ plug ends)

WELL IT WORK! I did the wii working - BUT...
- wii is not in colour (more like of black and white / old TV)

Any suggestions?

thanks,
peter
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peter...

I went a step farther and picked up a faceplate on eBay which offers the 3 video connections for component video, the two for stereo audio, plus one HDMI connector so i can patch my laptop to the TV. This works well for connecting our Wii but we have a mid ship entertainment system which gave us the wall space to mount the plate.

As for the b/w Wii display, I've heard of the problem but can't remember exactly what caused it. I would check your set up: 1) are you sure the yellow video cable is attached to the composite yellow video input and not one of the R/G/B component video inputs? 2) go to the set up menu on your tv and check your settings. You might want to take some other device like a dvd player and connect it via your patch cables and see if you're getting color so you'll know if you've got a TV or a Wii problem.

Good luck...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote