Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Considering taking diesel course

I checked into our local community college today and found that they offer a Diesel Engine Repair 101 course. It's listed as an understanding of diesels, maintenance and service. I'm partially mechanically inclined but feel I could use this course to understand and somewhat maintain my DP. I would think this would make one much more confident in understanding a diesel and the various systems, cooling, electrical etc. Have any of you done the same thing? Cost for the course is fairly reasonable and it is offered 2 evenings a week over several months.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club

Good idea never hurt to learn some points about diesel engine, been around them and work on them for years. Will help you to solve some simple problems and understand what the mechanic is talking about

snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i took 2 years of evenings about 10 years ago
it was great
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
I would think it a great way to acquaint yourself with the diesel system. I am pretty sure you will recover the cost of the course in saved money through knowledge. Go for it and I''ll bet on top of everything else you will enjoy it. I went back to college at 60 to train to become a machinist, after 45 years as a business manager,& owner, machining was my hobby. Never regretted it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
The course sounds like a great idea. I wish I had done that. I remember about nine years ago when I bought my DP and it was my first diesel engine. It was like starting all over again. There is a lot of information and mis-information on diesels on the internet and other places. Getting some real knowledge and understanding will greatly help you maintain your engine. I do my own routine maintenance and as well as things like changing belts and hoses. I have not had to deal with shops after my warranty expired eight years ago, but having some knowledge about your engine would surely help if I do. It seems that every time I go to a shop without a clue I get taken.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote