Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #1

Still trying to sell my MH - small local dealer that I trust (at least their garage I do), has a consignment deal. They quoted a NADA price which was acceptable to me, and said they get anything over that when (if) it sells. Seems ok so far. It is a small dealer who mostly deals in trailers, so the stock of MHs is fairly limited.
I'm trying to sell a 1986 Coachmen Class C which is in good shape. Dealer says that since this is an under $10k vehicle, they usually go pretty quick. I suspect maybe just the opposite, but that's just my uninformed opinion.
I've read a few horror stories on consignment. My biggest worry with this arrangement is that the RV would sit. However, it is already doing that with my current efforts.
Can anyone share their experiences (good or bad) or offer any suggestions on how to arrange the best deal?
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #2

Still trying to sell my MH - small local dealer that I trust (at least their garage I do), has a consignment deal. They quoted a NADA price which was acceptable to me, and said they get anything over that when (if) it sells. Seems ok so far. It is a small dealer who mostly deals in trailers, so the stock of MHs is fairly limited.
I'm trying to sell a 1986 Coachmen Class C which is in good shape. Dealer says that since this is an under $10k vehicle, they usually go pretty quick. I suspect maybe just the opposite, but that's just my uninformed opinion.
I've read a few horror stories on consignment. My biggest worry with this arrangement is that the RV would sit. However, it is already doing that with my current efforts.
Can anyone share their experiences (good or bad) or offer any suggestions on how to arrange the best deal?
Thanks.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is no "NADA price" on a 1986 motorhome - NADA does not go back that far on RVs. Sounds like saleman double-talk to me. But if you are happy with the amount, so what? As long as it actually sells for that amount or more. But I suspect he is assuming that he will get a lower offer and then he will come back to you to negotiate a different deal, which you will probably accept because you want to get rid of it.

What's in the fine print? Who pays the salesman's commision? What about any repairs needed before delivery to the new owner? Anything else you are responsible for? The dealer has to make quite a bit more than the price you will receive, just to break even.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #4

The dealer quoted the rate out of the December 2004 edition of the NADA book. I think the dealers get a commercial version which goes back further than what you can get for free online. If he was just pulling the number out of the air, he did a pretty good acting job, but who knows!

The commission is supposedly the difference between the wholesale price he quoted me and the retail amount they hope to get.

I haven't seen the fine print of the agreement yet, so I don't know if there are any other hidden fees. Unless I'm missing something, the dealer really doesn't need to do much to make money on this deal, unless they do a lot of cleanup work on the camper and advertise it. My guess is that they will just park it with the handful of motor homes on their lot, and field questions if anyone shows interest. I think they might also use it to fish for trade-ins.

The reason I'm interested in consignment is that I think more people will see the camper this way, which hopefully might lead to a sale. Then again, it might just sit on the lot which would be my biggest worry. I'll check out the agreement this week and see what kinds of details he might have glossed over on the phone.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:22 AM   #5

Update:

I talked with the sales manager, who had a much different story than the other salesman I spoke with. This guy was pretty straight, and said that basically he'd rather not even have the unit on his lot. It exposes him to too much risk because of the warranty he has to offer. Also, the salesman before misquoted the NADA value, he had given me low retail instead of wholesale.

So, consignment is not an option for now, at least not for my circumstance.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
drewc,

There are dealers that will sell units on a consignment basis in a different manner. Basically, you decide on a price for the motorhome. The dealer agrees to try to sell the unit for your price with the understanding that the dealer gets 10 percent of the sales price. The dealer will call you and present offers from potential buyers if they offer less than your agreed price.

I bought our first motorhome that way years ago. It was a 2 yr old unit which I made an offer on. The dealer called the owner and a few minutes later we had a deal. If you're willing to give up the 10 percent, it's not a bad deal, since dealer typically will get more people to look at your rig than you can.

On the other hand....10 percent can buy a lot of advertising on you own too.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I talked with the sales manager, who had a much different story than the other salesman I spoke with. This guy was pretty straight, and said that basically he'd rather not even have the unit on his lot. It exposes him to too much risk because of the warranty he has to offer. Also, the salesman before misquoted the NADA value, he had given me low retail instead of wholesale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About what I figured - typical salesman talk.

Old adage: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
PDB

I had a bad experience with selling a boat on consignmnent. The dealer swapped out several items, replacing my "new" things with "old" things. Example: my new battery became an old dead battery when I went to check on the boat.
I'll not do it again.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If I were the dealer and had paid for or financed inventory, I'd certainly work on moving "my" stock first prior to even caring about a consignment unit. Good Luck anyway...
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:17 PM   #10

I have sold an SUV, a fiver, and an F-350 truck using consignment lots. The fiver and truck were on the same lot, but sold separately.

In both cases (in two different states) I was offered a choice. I could set a price that I wanted, and the dealer would keep everything he could get beyond that. Or, he would simply get 10% of the sales price. I chose the former in both cases.

In both cases, I got more out of the deal than I could get selling it myself. The advantage to using a consignment lot is that they will take trade-ins and arrange financing. Those are very big deals to most buyers.

You should, of course, avoid lots that have not been in business a long time or which don't have any vehicles like yours.