Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi everyone. We purchased our motorhome last May (see siggy), and I have driven it only a few times so far, so I am still new at driving it. My husband does most of the driving. I actually do enjoy driving it and don't mind driving it on larger, wide-laned roads like interstates. My problem is that I have not yet had to drive the motorhome through a construction zone where those concrete barriers are used (well, I have in cars and SUVs and that doesn't bother me). When my husband drives through areas such as this, I find myself nervous about how close everything looks from my motorhome co-pilot's seat.

My husband is currently on a business trip, and I will be picking him up from the airport this Saturday and traveling to GA from there in our motorhome. The last 5 or 6 miles before the airport has a lot of those concrete barriers on both sides of the road in a construction area. I have to drive through it, and the thought of it scares me. Although I know that the lanes are the same width as if no barriers were there, they sure do appear very narrow! That, and there is little room for error since there's only a few inches of shoulder. I do plan on staying in the right lane, and I'm hoping that I can follow behind a semi since I think that would help me keep a better perspective. Does anyone have any tips for me that I can keep in mind as I get out of my comfort zone and drive through my phobia? I know...there's a first time for everything, but that first time is usually scarey! Help! TIA!

~ Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi everyone. We purchased our motorhome last May (see siggy), and I have driven it only a few times so far, so I am still new at driving it. My husband does most of the driving. I actually do enjoy driving it and don't mind driving it on larger, wide-laned roads like interstates. My problem is that I have not yet had to drive the motorhome through a construction zone where those concrete barriers are used (well, I have in cars and SUVs and that doesn't bother me). When my husband drives through areas such as this, I find myself nervous about how close everything looks from my motorhome co-pilot's seat.

My husband is currently on a business trip, and I will be picking him up from the airport this Saturday and traveling to GA from there in our motorhome. The last 5 or 6 miles before the airport has a lot of those concrete barriers on both sides of the road in a construction area. I have to drive through it, and the thought of it scares me. Although I know that the lanes are the same width as if no barriers were there, they sure do appear very narrow! That, and there is little room for error since there's only a few inches of shoulder. I do plan on staying in the right lane, and I'm hoping that I can follow behind a semi since I think that would help me keep a better perspective. Does anyone have any tips for me that I can keep in mind as I get out of my comfort zone and drive through my phobia? I know...there's a first time for everything, but that first time is usually scarey! Help! TIA!

~ Lori
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #3

As I was learning to drive a fire engine our instructor taught us to "look down the road". In otherwords don't get fixated on the road right infront of you. That will cause everything to close in on your field of vision. Instead, look farther down the road and your field of vision opens up and you won't feel like the barriers are closing in on you. Force yourself to relax and not tense up since being tense will cause your movements to be more jerky and you will over react instead of being smooth, natural and fluid. Remember, take a nice deep slow breath and relax looking down the road.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Scotty. That is good advice. I will be sure to remember that. I know that I can do this, but I'll be so very glad once I'm through it. I'm sure that the subsequent times I try this will be much easier than this first time. I can't wait till Sunday when I can post that I've made it through! Thanks for the tips; I appreciate it!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lori, Scotty is correct in looking a long distance down the road. You will want to try to have lots of room in front of you and behind a car would be better than behind a semi. Also while looking far out and down the road; out of the perripheral vision put your right foot in the center of the lane. You will be in the cener of the lane, guarranteed. You can practice this method even before you get to the construction area. Relax, beathe and you will be fine. Good luck and let us know how easy it was.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #6

This is not an uncommon fear of newer drivers of bigger vehicles. The other guys are correct.

Relax! "Aim High In Steering"-- Look as far down the road as you can, and never fixate on one point. And, know your reference points as to where you are centered. I usually use a visual point where the center line hits the edge of my dash where the steering wheel also meets. The reference point will vary by your size and perspective, so practice with it. The Idea is to have a visual clue, while your looking forward that tells you what your lane position is.

Another thing I find helps new driver's is to drive the route in a car, or something they are comfortable in, or as a passenger. If it isn't that far out of the way, don't hesitate to take the car up and get a good look at the road and the route.

Most importantly, Have fun! It's Vacation for a reason!

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Lori,

The others have given sound advice. I'm sure you will do well.

If I may offer another suggestion. If you're not restricted from and traffic and conditions allow, you might consider the left lane until you feel a little more comfortable. This might make it easier judging your distance from the barriers by glancing directly at them rather than using your mirror.

Also look for the signs as you are approaching these areas. Sometimes they have trucks use the left lane.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moder2:
Look as far down the road as you can, and never fixate on one point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In motorcycling, this is known as "target fixation" and is the cause of many accidents with inexperienced riders. In short, what they don't understand is that the bike will go where you look - if you panic in a turn and look at the outside curb or the ditch, guess what? That's where you'll wind up. The correct approach is to look through the turn at a point some distance down the road beyond the turn. The same thing holds true for an obstruction in the road - if you look at that board in the center of the lane, you'll hit it. Instead, look where you want the motorcycle to go.

The same thing holds true with a motorhome or with our 102" wide 5th wheel. If I focus on the barriers, I'll subconsciously move toward them. Instead, I'll focus down the road with a quick check in the right mirror every now and then just to ascertain how far the right side of the rig is from the barriers.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #9

Use the small, wide angle mirrors, that are located at the bottom of your rear view mirror. This will give you an accurate picture of how close you actually are to the concrete barriers, or the white line. When my wife is driving and I am in the passenger seat, she tells me to "watch the little mirrors." They show me we have more clearance than is apparent with the main mirror alone. Sometimes I doze off. Works for me.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh, thank you so much, everyone! I'm actually feeling more at ease about the prospect just by reading your posts. I'm so glad that I posted for help. I did drive through the same construction area in our Suburban two days ago when I took my husband to the airport, so I know what I'll be driving through. I will have already driven for an hour before I get to the construction zone on mostly two lane roads, which I'm not really nervous about. The construction zone is a few miles after I get on the interstate. I will be able to practice my "looking ahead", centering, and placement on the two lane roads and on a few miles of interstate before getting to those barricades. As much as I dread this, I also look forward to the success. You all are great; thank you!

~ Lori