Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #1

I asked this in the Women's Perspective on the post about cleaning a Convection/Microwave, but haven't received an answer.

I have no oven, just a GE Spacesaver Microwave. I want to replace it with a GE Spacesave Convection/Microwave 1790. They are the same size, but someone said something about 50 amps. I have a 30amp system. Can I not use the 1790 or do I have to do something else to use the Convection/Microwave? I'm electrically challenged and before I fork over $614, I want to be sure I can use it safely and effectively.

<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #2

I asked this in the Women's Perspective on the post about cleaning a Convection/Microwave, but haven't received an answer.

I have no oven, just a GE Spacesaver Microwave. I want to replace it with a GE Spacesave Convection/Microwave 1790. They are the same size, but someone said something about 50 amps. I have a 30amp system. Can I not use the 1790 or do I have to do something else to use the Convection/Microwave? I'm electrically challenged and before I fork over $614, I want to be sure I can use it safely and effectively.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
George 30 amp is fine, in your coach some where you may have a three position switch marked micro or air-cond or something similar, it selects which appliance you will use. When your thru useing micro just switch back to other funtion. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just make sure the GE is the 120V model, they also make a 220V model, and 120V is all your coach has.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #5

Switch? I ain't got no stinkin' switches

My AC is on a panel thermostate along with my heater. I don't flip any switches presently for the microwave. I just plug into shore power (or turn on the generator) and it works.

Thanks for the hedz up for the voltage. We feel better about it now. Thanks.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 02-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use a GE Advantium convection/microwave in our coach. On 50amp service we can use it while the a/c is running. On 30amp service, we normally just shut down the a/c while running the oven. We have an automaticac load management system that will supposedly shut down both a/c systems and other items in order if we pull too many amps, but we normally do our load management manually when we think of it.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Than your good for go GEORGE start cooking. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:08 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webster:

I have no oven, just a GE Spacesaver Microwave. I want to replace it with a GE Spacesave Convection/Microwave 1790. They are the same size, but someone said something about 50 amps. I have a 30amp system. Can I not use the 1790 or do I have to do something else to use the Convection/Microwave? I'm electrically challenged and before I fork over $614, I want to be sure I can use it safely and effectively. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George,

According to GE that is a 15 amp oven which is pretty close to what your existing one is so you should be Ok to use it on your 30 amp motorhome. The same limitations will appply. Don't run a coffee pot, hair dryer and the AC while using the oven. It is simple math, if your coffee pot draws 10, AC 15, oven 15 and hair dryer 10 then you will be drawing 50 amps if you run them all together and should trip a breaker. Just don't run them all at once and you should be fine.

Don't forget that there is currently a rebate on that oven according to GE.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to keep in mind when you do the replacement is that in the convection mode the oven will get much hotter in the back and on the sides than the old microwave oven did.

I have installed two now and on the first measured temps of 190'F after about 40 minutes of convection use.
I ended up adding an exhaust fan and a vent through the side of the motor home to get the temp down.
When I did the second installation I got the "build-in kit" for the oven and that made the job MUCH easier. It had some additional sheetmetal on the top and bottom that directed the air out the front. It also came with side,top and bottom grills.