Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all--

We have a dispute going on in my household.

My wife, a true "Southern Gal", loves cooking corn bread, especially "cracklin' bread". She will only do this in a "bacon grease" coated, cast iron skillet. She sez- "can't do it in the microwave/convection oven. She even called GE and they said you can only use glassware.

I don't agree--. My theory is, if you only use the convection oven, no fast bake or micro wave modes, you can bake okay.

What's the right answer? I know I'll lose in either case -- what's new

cheers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all--

We have a dispute going on in my household.

My wife, a true "Southern Gal", loves cooking corn bread, especially "cracklin' bread". She will only do this in a "bacon grease" coated, cast iron skillet. She sez- "can't do it in the microwave/convection oven. She even called GE and they said you can only use glassware.

I don't agree--. My theory is, if you only use the convection oven, no fast bake or micro wave modes, you can bake okay.

What's the right answer? I know I'll lose in either case -- what's new

cheers,
Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #3

Max, My convection/microwave oven has a metal rack that is used on the convection setting, So the way I see it you are right as long as it is used on convection only.
JMO Earl

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay-- one for the boys-so far!!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:19 AM   #5

Hi Max,
My DH said I should reply..... We have a GE microwave/convection oven and I have used metal pans with convection only. According to our "operating manual" on the convection only setting you can use anything that can be used in a regular oven. I don't understand why GE told you wife not to use metal--must have been someone's first day on the job? You might want to check the manual.

Norma
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
In the convection mode you are not using any high frequency power for cooking, you are using forced air radiant heating. Now remember that the power source for these in RV's is 120 volt with a maximum amperage of 20 amp breaker. THerefore they are a bit slower than a higher wattage home or commercial convection oven may be. The problem with a heavy cast iron pan is that it will take some time to get the pan "hot". In our ovens of lower wattage it may take too long, unless the pan itself is preheated first. Just do not us metal in the microwave mode and no damage can be done as a result.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your inputs Gals and Guys,

The "skillet" I refer to is one that is formed like 5 small ears of corn. Its not a full "round skillet". We will give it a pre-heat on the stove top and then try it in the convection oven. I also find that our convection oven has to be set at 420 degrees to cook at 350 degrees. I called GE and they said there is no calibration possible as they are allowed a 35 +/- degree tolerence for my unit-- I said mine is well out of that tolerence and they basically said "get a new one" because its over a year old. They want $70 for a house call,plus $70/hr, plus parts. Forget it!! A new GE profile unit will cost $559 (with a $100 allowance for the old unit). Some home oven/ranges can be "re-calibrated" through their built in computers.

Thanks again,
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A convection oven is nothing more than a regular oven with a fan that circulates the heat. A convection/microwave oven, used in the convection mode only, operates the same way. Thus, any bake ware usable in a regular oven is suitable for a convection oven or a micro/convection oven used in the convection only mode.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to complicate things a little - the manual for our Sharp Carousel convection microwave says metal cookware can be used in the convection/microwave combination mode as long as the metal is at least 1/4 inch from the sides of the oven. The metal wire rack can also be used in the combination mode.

This is in direct contradiction to past microwaves we have had but I assume Sharp knows what they are talking about.
In any case we have used the rack in combination mode a number of times over the last four years with no problems so far.

Old habits die hard though and I don't think we have ever used the wire rack or metal cookware in the microwave only mode.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with Tom N convection oven is just that same as a regular oven, set temp the same as one, they work great. Happy cooking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Although ours is not a GE, I thought I'd add to this confusing (for me) topic. I haven't tried it in the MH yet, but I also like to bake cornbread in cast iron. (from WV)

Ours is a Sharp Carousel Grill 2 Convection. Ours has a round metal turn-table that you use with either mode = convection or microwave. I've felt the need to read the manual each time I've used it to cook or warm something new... just to be sure.

<span class="ev_code_RED">5 more days...</span>
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Max:
Just got to your threads and could not pass this one. Lou told me, to tell you, to tell Cindy that she has made corn bread in her cast iron skillet in our convection oven. (She thinks) I know that she has made corn bread in the coach. She said that she could get the skillet hot enough to smoke. It is cold and wet outside, and I am to lazy to go out to see what microwave/concection unit we have. We will cove this when the two of you get down here next week.
Dale
d.polka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #13

Just have to put my two cents worth in --- I love to cook cornbread even though I don't use the Southern method anymore. I enjoy convection cooking so much that I now use convection at home too. Since the air circulates around your food, most websites & convection manuals will tell you to drop the temp about 25 degrees & I've found this to be a good idea. Also make sure to leave room around whatever you're baking so that the air can flow as supposed to with convection cooking.
WayKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #14

Max's Wife "the southern gal"gets my vote how ever she does it,stove-top or otherwise I just love that Southern Cookin'.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote