Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Arrow Convert Water Heater to Electric

Look like there are 2 options for converting our 6 gallon water heater from LP to only used electric.
  • Camco 11673 Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit
  • Diamond Group (HR6) Universal Hott Rod

I'll be installing in an Atwood through the drain plug, (i'm guessing). I'll plan on plugging into a separate 110 outlet for it from the couch's 30amp service at CGs and then hopefully separate circuits if I'm driveway surfing with relations.

Any advice on which is better would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have installed the Hott Rod. I will describe how I would do it for your situtation.

First you will need to screw in an adapter fitting, Use several layers of teflon tape on this (like six or more) then screw the rod into the adapter

There is a thermostat Instructions say to pass the leads to the INSIDE and put it against the tank.. It can be mounted to the outside if you can put it in contact with the metal tank itself (you have a piece of foam rubber with the letters TST and ECO on it (At least I think it's tst) this is stuck to the tank)

That's about it.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

I also installed the Hot Rod in my last RV. Pretty simple install and worked well. If I had it to do again I would leave the charging line outside the vehicle (in the HW access area) rather than drilling a hole and feeding the power line inside. I would then just plug it straight in to the power pole at the camp ground.

My only negative is that draining the hot water heater was a pain. it was difficult to get the rod out. It had to be screwed in very tightly to not leak and on my unit it was a tight fit to get a wrench in there to unscrew it.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Was it a tight fit because of the propane stuff in front of the drain hole?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #5

Depending on the age of your hot water heater you may want to replace it. I used an Ariston 6 gallon and was happy with the conversion.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Ariston-.../dp/B0006GVO1M
Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Depending on the age of your hot water heater you may want to replace it. I used an Ariston 6 gallon and was happy with the conversion.

Amazon.com: Bosch Ariston GL6+S Point-of-Use Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater: Home Improvement
I just re-plumbed around the tank to fix a leak and if old tank was a problem, I was going to try one of those. I'm glad the old tank still holds water, because I wasn't looking forward to figuring out how to rig a door on the side of the coach where the water heater used to be.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Hott Rod seems to be the one to go with, so I'll place an order later today. If I remember, I'll try to update this thread with my results.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Installed the Hott Rod. It was pretty simple, but the tanks not getting very hot, even after sitting 90 minutes. This is even at the over-flow valve. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

I bought my Hott Rod on Amazon - here is the review I gave (5 stars)

"The installation was pretty easy. I used a 1/2" countersink bit with a 1/4" shank to drill the hole so it fit nicely in my 3/8' cordless drill. Installed it on an Atwood 6 gallon tank - can't put the thermostat dead center on the tank (right/left) because of the welded vertical seam. Wish I had known that before cutting the insulation. I installed it center top/bottom and off center to the right horizontally. You do need patience when threading the fittings into the tank - a 1 1/16" wrench is a tight fit as a socket will not work unless you remove the gas line which I was not going to do. Went camping for 3 days and had plenty of hot water - never used the gas."

Update as of now - love it! Always have hot water and no turning the gas heater on and off. But you can use the gas if you want to supplement the electric if you are using a LOT of hot water.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

I put one in our motorhome wife loves it. I bring a long lead cord so I can plug in outside at the pole. I can also plug into my camper.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Bad extension cord

Update on the problem I was having with the Hott Rod setup I just installed: I found out that the extension cord was "fried" on one end, so it was supplying enough power or was getting a good connection to the Hott Rod plug. Tried a different cord and got lots of hot water.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater