Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #15

An inverter takes 12v DC and inverts it to 120v AC when you are not plugged into a 120v source. When you are plugged in to shore power that is 120V AC the inverter is switched off. Normal AC users in a MH are the Air conditioner, microwave, TV and often the refrigerator. 120V outlets are provided for toasters, hairdryers etc.

When you are not plugged in to shore power or the generator is not running then an inverter can supply 120V from the MH batteries. A converter when plugged into a 120V source not only charges the batteries but also provides 12v to the coach. A battery charger when plugged into 120v simply charges the batters and the house 12v comes from the batteries. An inverter/charger simply charges the batteries when plugged into a 120V source and when unplugged provides a source of 120v.

A converter or charger is needed to keep the house batteries charged and they both require a 120v source to do so.

An inverter requires a 12v source, your house batteries.

If you have a charger or inverter/charger you do not need a converter. Inverter/chargers can cost 2 to 3 times more than having a separate inverter and charger. The benefit of an inverter over a charger is the inverter produces the house 12v not the batteries where as if you have a charge then the 12v is supplied via the batteries placing a heavier load on the batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

OK, all/most RV's come with an inverter. Depending on the type of RV and the size. I got that many inverters also can act as a charger for the house batteries. But the inverters are not really equipped to give a full or 3 stage charge to the batteries unless they are specifically designed that way. Most inverters may have some type of charger but they are not really able to top off the battery bank. And this is where a converter comes into play. It's primary design is to take 110 vac and make 12 vdc. The better made converters are also 3 stage chargers. And are really designed to keep the batteries topped off and maintained at full or near full charge. The converter is purchased aftermarket whereas the inverter is installed in the RV.
Right? I hope?
Chet

Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Our RV came with a Progressive Dynamics PD9180 converter and no inverter. Although the converter brands and sizes differed, that was also the case with our previous two (2) 5th wheels and our previous pop-up.

RVs with gensets, solar panels, etc. would more commonly use inverters since they could (with a converter, charger or inverter/charger in conjunction with the genset) keep the house batteries recharged without being hooked up to shore power. If one is hooked up to shore power, of course, there's really no need for an inverter.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #18

An inverter can not act as a charger. It only has AC out. An inverter converts DC to AC. An inverter/charger has a separate inverter and a separate charger in the same box. It has AC out and DC out. The charger is usually 3 stage and fully capable of maintaing coach batteries at full charge. When an inverter /charger is plugged into shore AC power the inverter is shut off usually by an internal transfer switch and the charger turned on.

Most RV's come with converters and even in the 1991 they were 3 stage. Most good battery chargers are 3 stage. If a coach did not have a converter then it just had a charger.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #19

You are thinking too hard. I think what is confusing you is that many modern coaches have a single Black Box that has three subsystems. A convertor, a battery charger, and an invertor.

If you never were without 110 power, you wouldn't need House batteries.

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberVet65:
OK, all/most RV's come with an inverter. Depending on the type of RV and the size. I got that many inverters also can act as a charger for the house batteries. But the inverters are not really equipped to give a full or 3 stage charge to the batteries unless they are specifically designed that way. Most inverters may have some type of charger but they are not really able to top off the battery bank. And this is where a converter comes into play. It's primary design is to take 110 vac and make 12 vdc. The better made converters are also 3 stage chargers. And are really designed to keep the batteries topped off and maintained at full or near full charge. The converter is purchased aftermarket whereas the inverter is installed in the RV.
Right? I hope?
Chet

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

OK. I like that "thinking too hard". I will do some more looking. Specifically at the unit in my coach. Thanks for putting up with the questions.
Chet
Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #21

Most new coaches only contain one box that consists of only two subsystems, an inverter and a charger combo. There is no Inverter or inverter function.

There are no inverter/converter combos I have seen or know of. I know of many inverter/chargers, inverters and chargers.

Having a charger with an converter would be redundant since a converter is a charger that also supplies 12 v to the coach.

However an inverter is neither a converter or a charger and a charger is neither an inverter or converter but a converter is a charger.

I can't believe I just wrote that. The advantage of having a separate converter and inverter is that they are less expensive and if something goes bang in the night the replacement cost is a lot lower and also easier to diagnose.

The advantage of having a converter over a charger is that a converter charges and supplies 12 v to the coach.

The main advantage of having a charger is that they can be available in higher amperages but they do not provide 12 v to the coach. They usually will cost as much as a converter.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #22

That cleared it up!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by Forest Grump:
Most new coaches only contain one box that consists of only two subsystems, an inverter and a charger combo. There is no connverter or connverter function.

There are no inverter/converter combos I have seen or know of. I know of many inverter/chargers, inverters and chargers.

Having a charger with an converter would be redundant since a converter is a charger that also supplies 12 v to the coach.

However an inverter is neither a converter or a charger and a charger is neither an inverter or converter but a converter is a charger.

I can't believe I just wrote that. The advantage of having a separate converter and inverter is that they are less expensive and if something goes bang in the night the replacement cost is a lot lower and also easier to diagnose.

The advantage of having a converter over a charger is that a converter charges and supplies 12 v to the coach.

The main advantage of having a charger is that they can be available in higher amperages but they do not provide 12 v to the coach. They usually will cost as much as a converter.