Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Converter replacement, hard to reach!

So I am replacing the house batteries in my 2005 Sightseer 34A. Now I'm looking at replacing the single stage parallax converter with one of the progressive PD 9200 units. My converter is in a pretty difficult position. Behind the AC breaker box and up on a side wall that has an access hole under it. Trouble is it is attached by screws above and below. I can reach the bottom screws but not the top. Actually it I reach up around the converter I can feel the screw with my finger tip but cannot see it and will never get a screw driver on it. It was obviously installed before any of the AC box and probably even the walls went in. Anybody ever replace the converter in one of these sightseer rigs?
You can see the shiny thing in the mirror, that is the converter on the inside of the facing wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	99578  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is another view showing the AC breaker box on the front wall and the converter access on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-09 12.08.37.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	99592  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many times I found that the converter was installed on its side. The bottom screws were accessable and the top were not. Every one that I worked on had the top screws slightly loose. You slide the converter (there were two slots, not two holes) into the top screws and then add the bottom screws.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks ga traveler, I'll check that out. Also it appears that the PD9260 is smaller than my parallax. There is a 1x2 frame on the back of that wall that the thing is screwed into and I'm not at all sure they will match up to the new converter. I have heard others mention using industrial Velcro for attaching the replacement converter. The Pd9260 weighs in at 5.8 lbs so it's not real heavy. The Velcro might be a good option for remounting.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I went ahead and ordered the PD9260 converter, now I'm wondering if I need to upsize the wires that feed the battery for more current carrying ability. Also thinking about adding 2 more batteries for a total of 4, would that be reason to upsize the wiring?
Thanks.....
Old 07-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok I installed the new converter today, as ga_traveller suggested, after the bottom screws were out I was able to tug the old converter down and it slid right out. Thanks a bunch ga! The new converter has a smaller footprint so I just made a plywood backer and screwed the new converter to that, slide it up then used drywall screws to attach the backer to the inside of the wall, pretty easy. As shown on the pic above, I rotated the AC panel out of the way allowing me to see what was going on. I had turned off all the breakers on that for safety sake. When I got everything wired up and turned on, the new converter appeared to be working (according to the blinking led on the wizard remote) but I got no change as I cycled thru the different modes. After a bit of head scratching, I realized I hadn't reset those AC breakers. Once that was done everything worked great.
Here are my measurements in the different modes, I wondered if you all have similar readings. I think my wire sizes are appropriate and I do expect some voltage drop at the battery. Anyway here they are if you care to compare and comment.

Boost mode should be 14.4v I read 14v at the battery
Normal mode should be 13.6v I read 13.4v at the battery
Storage mode should be 13.2v I read 13.16v at the battery
These seem like pretty good reading to me, huh?
Thanks!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same converter, PD9260. The numbers are very similar to my numbers.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, converter, replace, ace