Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Converters

Ours is a Parallax converter and has performed well since 2007 when we bought the View new. I checked Amazon and was surprised to find only a handful of reviews with only a few being positive. Did I just get lucky or is there a more popular/reliable converter out there?
Bil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #2

I think you will find this product has one of the best reputations in the RV industry.

RV and Marine Power Converters and Chargers

Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

Is this just a curiosity question or are you needing a replacements?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What model of Parallax? They make many, and some are better than others. Probably none of them great, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Is this just a curiosity question or are you needing a replacements?
Yes, Mine is still working.
Bill
Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
What model of Parallax? They make many, and some are better than others. Probably none of them great, though.
It's a Model 7345.
Bill
Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many converters.. Some of them it takes a while to see how well they perform.

Parallex has both single and multi-stage converters.
Single stage converters like the 7300 series take a long time to re-charge a battery and may well never actually reach 100% charge level. Some older converters (NOT THE PARALLEX) would continue to charge however and boil the battery dry, No more about those since you do not have one.

Other converters like teh Parallex 7300T line (note the addition of the T as in T for 2 or Timer) are two stage.. They do a faster initial charge for a period of time or till the battery voltage starts to climb then switch to the float voltage (13.6)

Finally we have 3-stage converters (I suspet Parallex may make some but do not know the model numbers) these do an initial BULK charge which is current limited.. Then switch to an ABSORPTION which is voltage limited but far slower for the last 10 percent or there about of charging, Then to FLOAT (13.6). like all the above.

Finally we have the 3-stage PLUS.. These are 3 stage converters with one (or more) outstanding features.. The one I like best and recommend is the Progressive Dynamics 9200 or any of the Progressive Dynamics WIZARD controlled models (All get the same rating in my book) This is a 3-stage with auto-equlization periods (15 minutes every 20 hours)

There are others in this class too. but that's my favorite.

Real life.. Damon put on in my 2005 Intruder.. Picked it up in May '05.. Checked batteries for fluid level often, Added distilled water for the first time on Mother's day 2006 Batteries lasted 9 years. New batteries have yet to need watering.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
T
Real life.. Damon put on in my 2005 Intruder.. Picked it up in May '05.. Checked batteries for fluid level often, Added distilled water for the first time on Mother's day 2006 Batteries lasted 9 years. New batteries have yet to need watering.
On my third set of House Batteries. The first set failing was my fault for not watching the water level close enough.
Bill
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 7345 is not a three or two stage converter but works okay if you check the electrolyte level in the batteries often.
The one in my motor home started making an odd noise after about 9 years of 24/7 use so I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9200 three stage converter with the Charge Wizard. Sure reduced/eliminated the water usage. I checked the level every couple of months for almost a year and never had to add water. With the old converter I had to add water monthly.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

My 2006 Sightseer had the Parallax 7345. It had a constant 13.8 volt output, not enough to boil the batteries and slow to reach full charge. I checked the two group 27 batteries once a month and had to add water once a year.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter