Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 AM   #1

Converting crankup tv antenna

Has anyone replaced their old crank up tv antenna with the more modern stationery, low-profile version?

Can it be done by dealer for reasonable cost?

tks
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 AM   #2

Went from the old crank up to the Jack Directional. It's been great.

joe

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
JOE PLAZEK
Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Try this. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wine...gs-266540.html
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't do it! My low profile King is so low, the A/C's and Sat. Dish interfere with long distance signals. And too close to the roof. I'll trade you for the extending Bat Wing...
Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayserc View Post
Has anyone replaced their old crank up tv antenna with the more modern stationery, low-profile version?

tks
Had mine done at CW for $134, sometimes you can catch CW with an installation discount.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
holy bat wing Batman!!!!!

I have found that the low profiles work fine if you don't use your ac or your 12v roof fans. That said, I still have the original batwing that gets digital signals perfectly. I find myself using my hot spot more these days than my TV antenna. I've been thinking about picking up one of the cellphone range extenders that mount on the roof, haven't done it yet through

Has any of you old radio jockies messed with trying to use your old CB antenna's for range extenders and such?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:

tks
we looked at doing it the opposite way....Jack to Winegard Sensar IV. our Jack antenna is fantastic...in urban areas. otherwise not so much. and we mostly camp in the boonies. so when we took delivery of our new MH I had the svc dept remove the Jack with the idea of installing a new Winegard Sensar IV. but we had to re-install the Jack antenna. turns out the mounting hole for the Winegard was smaller than the mounting hole for the Jack and that meant leftover hole. we could patch the hole on the roof but not on the ceiling in the main cabin. too bad as I believe the Winegard batwing with the Wingman add-on is the best permanently mounted RV TV antenna currently on the market.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A basic law of physics says that an omni-directional antenna like the non aim-able low profile type have less gain than a directional one. It will not work as well as the bat wing.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:

tks
Not so old any more. A friend of mine just bought a new 2016 45' fiver. It has the crank up antenna that provides signals for the 4 tv's in the rv. I can get better service from my crank up than my brother's "new do". I'd leave it on and be sure the weather exposed leads and ends.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna