Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #1

Converting gas hot water heater to electric

I have heard of people sticking heater elements in the drain hole of the tank. Has anyone done this? Is it safe? I have a gas 6 gallon atwood that I would prefer to be electric. Please let me know of your thoughts on the element idea or any other conventional idea to fix my problem.

billr30656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Take a look HERE if you decide to do it.

Rusty

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suburban water heaters have a sacrificial anode rod attached to the drain plug. If you exchange the plug with anode for a plug with a heating element, you will loose the corrosion protection for your water heater. As far as I know, the conversion kits do not contain any kind of provision for corrosion protection.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The OP says his water heater is an Atwood 6-gallon model, which doesn't use an anode rod.

Rusty
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
check the "hott rod" kit. i have heard good things about it, but don't remember where.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #6

Did this to our heater (Attwood) approx 10 yrs. ago. Works great. Bought kit at Camping World. Requires that you cut a hole in the outer insulating jacket on the heater so that you can mount the thermostat. Also need a 110 volt source. I set ours up so that I can simply plug the heater into an outlet that is located on the outside wall next to the heater.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Did this to our heater (Attwood) approx 10 yrs. ago. Works great. Bought kit at Camping World. Requires that you cut a hole in the outer insulating jacket on the heater so that you can mount the thermostat. Also need a 110 volt source. I set ours up so that I can simply plug the heater into an outlet that is located on the outside wall next to the heater.
Irwin, do you remember which kit you used? I installed a Hott Rod in my Atwood water heater drain plug (to the OP I didn't stick it in the drain plug) about six years ago and it has worked great. It is stainless steel and the Hott Shot rep said they have not had a single case of galvanic corrosion causing a failure. They guarantee your water heater in case of a failure. Atwood does not recommend or encourage the electric heater but many have used either the heater or brass plugs without a problem. BTW electric water heating is one of the best modifications I have made on my MH.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On J Walker's advice, I installed a HottRod, too. It has been wonderful - a great mod. We pull into a CG, plug into the post, flip on the water heater switch and, by the time that we have everything else settled, we have hot water - no muss, no fuss.

I did the installation myself and admit it is a pretty tight fit. On my Atwood 6gal, I had to loosen the mount for the gas valve to get the rod into the tank. I simply followed the directions for the rest of the install and have had no problems since.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The OP says his water heater is an Atwood 6-gallon model, which doesn't use an anode rod.

Rusty
Sorry, I missed that when I posted my warning. Guess I'll have to read more carefully.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #10

I installed a "Lightning Rod" and it works great. No problems, 3 years.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the electric heater rod is recovery time is S-L-O-W.

Even if you install one, you will probably want to turn the propane on when bathing or doing dishes.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #12

Why are they so slow? Are any quicker than the other? Why can't I find a regular hot water heater element that fits and wire it in? I have used them in biodiesel production by putting them in pipes and circulating the oil and methoxide past it. Is there a problem with getting the tank too hot too fast?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The problem with the electric heater rod is recovery time is S-L-O-W.

Even if you install one, you will probably want to turn the propane on when bathing or doing dishes.

Ken
Ken, I had that concern when we first added the electric circuit. We have never had a problem, even with multiple showers in a row. I admit that we've never done the 15 minute variety but we haven't always had Navy showers either. Six gallons of very hot water seems to go a very long ways.

We've had the HotRod installed several years and I cannot remember the last time that we used the WH on propane.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #14

I read that the Lightning rod takes 45-90 minutes to get to 125. Is the HotRod like that? I plan to either pick one of these everyone has suggested or do something on my own tomorrow.