Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
If you can - go to Quatzite and have it done there. It cost me $1500.00 -Carefree- with the wind sensor. The sensor is in the head of the arm so that it detects any shaking and then pulls the arm in. If you are sitting outside and want the awning to retract you can just jerk it a few times and up it goes. Also to put it out - you just touch the button.
I have a A&E system on my new coach and it sucks - it is very slow to come in - the wind would rip it off before it fully retracted. You must hold the button all the time to get it to come in or out and it has a air speed detector on the roof. But it is on my coach and it would cost $2200 to change it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My last coach had a manual awning that worked well but it did take some effort to put out, in about 10 minutes. I always liked the fact that the angle had a lot of adjustment. Now my new coach has a electric awning, Dometic with remote control and wind sensor, I really love the way it works. Plus with a push of a button, I can put it in at bedtime, in about 10 seconds. The best part is, I don't mind setting up in the rain now.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #17

Pond Piggies Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JCM, since I live in the UP of Michigan my choices are limited. Are you referring to a brand name or a RV repair place? I was planning to have it done by the dealer I bought the MH from.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I would suggest a Carefree update and I had it done a Quartzite (RV Mecca)- end of January- because of lower prices.
If you can't go south during the winter try and find a FMCA rally or something similar. Usually the RV repair companies - awnings etc. attend these gatherings. If not have it done by your dealer.
I believe the electric conversion was about $11 - 1200.00 and the automatic add on was about another $400.00. I wouldn't get the automatic wind sensor again as they react too slowly but the electric gives you the opening and closing of the awning. ALLWAYS close the awning if you are leaving the coach.
I have seen small worryly winds whip through a park (in Palm Springs) and rip numerous awnings to shreds the just vanish.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #19

Pond Piggies Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The girl at the service desk at the Rv dealer said it would cost about $800, but I think she is low in her estimate. Right now I'm leaning toward the electric awning without the sensor. There's another Rv dealer close by that I will have to check out too. (No rallies close enough for us to check out.) Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks.
Enjoy.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
You can HAVE it converted for about $1100.00 or $1500.00 for a automatic retract (not recommended since you should retract your awnining if you go away for a few minutes). Sudden winds can rip your awning while it is retracting.
I had ours done by Shure-pro and they used a Carefree system - they use your present fabric.
My present coach came with an A&E automatic awning. It is slow to retract and isn't as "strong".
Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Our TT had a manual awning and I always thought it would be really nice to have an electric awning. When we upgraded to our current motorhome, it had an electric awning. I am finding that I really like just being able to stand there and push the button. BUT, I really don't like the fact that I can't adjust the angle of the awning. Now I am not sure if that is because we have a passenger living room slide or not, but I don't think it's gonna give us much shade when the time comes to need it.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Put a hanging shade on it. It should roll up when you close the awning otherwise it is good at noon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040293.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	33439  

Tags
awning, manual