Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I would like to quietly cool the a/v component area above the driver's seat. It does get really hot up there especially when it's hot outside and the heat from the windshield is helping. This is even w/the screen down.

(As a side note, if any of you are using HD satellite receivers, you should know that they are notorious for getting very hot.)

Anyone have a specific fan or store, online or not, that they have used. Given my fridge problems I might like to get an extra one for there too.

I really don't feel like wiring 12 volt but, if that's all there is I'll figure it out.

Thanks
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would like to quietly cool the a/v component area above the driver's seat. It does get really hot up there especially when it's hot outside and the heat from the windshield is helping. This is even w/the screen down.

(As a side note, if any of you are using HD satellite receivers, you should know that they are notorious for getting very hot.)

Anyone have a specific fan or store, online or not, that they have used. Given my fridge problems I might like to get an extra one for there too.

I really don't feel like wiring 12 volt but, if that's all there is I'll figure it out.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sounds like a computer style muffin fan would fit your application perfectly as they are quiet, small and draw very little current.

That same style of fan is available in a 120 volt AC power configuration also. We use the 120 volt versions frequently in our product designs at work. Unfortunately, because they aren't so popular, you won't find them for 2 bucks like the cheap import 12 volt vans, but they are available.

You may be able to find cheaper, but a company I've ordered from personally with good service is parts express.

Heres links for a 120 volt, 100CFM fan and power cord that would just allow you to plug the fan in. You can either wire the cord direct, or add plug to the end of the cord to plug it in. If you happen to be lucky enough to have a switched outlet on the back of your AV equipment you could plug the fan into that and have the fan run whenever the equipment is on.

120 volt fan

Cord (must add plug to end)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #4

Good tip Joe. I'd also say that if you or anyone you know has an old dead computer lying around, you can easily salvage the 120vac cooling fan from the processor cabinet. And Raio Shack's got 'em too.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Newmar electronics cabinet leaves a lot to be desired.

There is no handy place to mount a fan to move the air. Fan size is limited to about 80mm, if placing it on the shelf. However, I'm not satisfied with the results, as a 80mm fan doesn't move enough air.

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer. 120v fans seem to be too loud, and 12v fans need a power supply.

I'm thinking of making a hole in the side of the cabinet, behind the TV and mounting a fan there. Actually 2 fans, one for the middle, and one for the top shelf. I haven't decided on intake or exhaust.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #6

How about a cheapo converter to change from 110 to 12V?
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Monaco gets very warm also. One thing that helped was that I was able to get behind the TV and stuff a bunch of insulation up into the curve of the front cap. It helped alot.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Northern Tool has used 120VAC muffin vans for only $7.95 - I bought one for another project and it works dandy.

120VAC Muffin fan
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Muffin fans are loud.

Another alternative would, in the muffin fan area, is to use a 120mm case fan for a computer. You local build-it-yourself shop should have these. Many of them have a three speed switch to give some control of the noise. They do require 12 volts. Use a Radio Shack converter to get from 120VAC to DC. Example from Comp USA

A better alternative than the muffin fan is a squirrel cage type fan (sometimes call centrifugal, or blowers). They typically come in at 25 dBa.

Also, for the best cooling you would be best to blow air into the component area, rather than trying to exhaust the hot air.

I would be tempted to mount the fan on the bottom of the cabinet blowing into the cabinet.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #10

Our Alpine has the muffin fans behind the flat screen and helps to remove heat from the rest of the electronics also. There are at least two fans (I never really stopped to count them, there may be as many as four) and the fans can easily be turned on at the dash for additional windshield defrosting.

If I were installing, I too wouldl install at least one blower to pull cooler air in and let the exhaust fans pull it out
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I used a laptop cooler (2 fans in a flat case). It gets its power from a usb connector and there was a live on on the back of my HDef unit. I just sat the HDef unit on the top of the fans and it moves air up and through the unit.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Great tip. Any chance you have a model number for the one you used.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #13

Scott, I never had any heat issues in my DSDP, but only had the VCR and six pack DVD over the driver. My sat receiver was midship.

Have you tried leaving the upper windshield fans on low to disperse the heat behind the cabinette?

Peter
Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Peter,

Good idea. However, does it run the chassis battery down if I have the key in ACC position to get the fans on?

Or does the converter charge the chassis batteries while they are being used?

As a side note, if my sat box is overheating, it is probably a good sign that I should drag my sorry butt outside and camp. Oh wait, I have a TV out there too and my laptop is wireless.