Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #1

Took Delivery of a 2005 (new) Mountainaire (gas) on May 11, 2005. While checking the fluid levels in preparation for our first big trip, I noticed an inordinate amount of rust and corrosion under the hood. Stainless steel hose clamps were rusted, steering linkage was rusted, an aluminum heat sink in the upper part of the front compartment was covered with white powder. Unit was manufactured in December of 2004. Unit has never been any nearer to a salt water environment than going over a couple of bridges which span brackish water. Got under the coach yesterday because the Onan needed the oil changed. I decided to look the entire underside over using a shop crawler. I was shocked at the amount of corrosion under the coach. Corrosion was not limited to just one area. Without going into more detail . . .has anyone else had this problem with a Newmar coach, and if so, what did Newmar do about it? I am very close to hitting them with Florida's "lemon law." I'd appreciate any word on this subject. Implied warranty is that no new vehicle should have any rust or corrosion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #2

Took Delivery of a 2005 (new) Mountainaire (gas) on May 11, 2005. While checking the fluid levels in preparation for our first big trip, I noticed an inordinate amount of rust and corrosion under the hood. Stainless steel hose clamps were rusted, steering linkage was rusted, an aluminum heat sink in the upper part of the front compartment was covered with white powder. Unit was manufactured in December of 2004. Unit has never been any nearer to a salt water environment than going over a couple of bridges which span brackish water. Got under the coach yesterday because the Onan needed the oil changed. I decided to look the entire underside over using a shop crawler. I was shocked at the amount of corrosion under the coach. Corrosion was not limited to just one area. Without going into more detail . . .has anyone else had this problem with a Newmar coach, and if so, what did Newmar do about it? I am very close to hitting them with Florida's "lemon law." I'd appreciate any word on this subject. Implied warranty is that no new vehicle should have any rust or corrosion.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Sorry to hear of the rusting undercarriage. Could the corrosion be from maybe batteries that were leaking or overcharged? Not being able to see it, I am just quessing as to the cause. Hope you find the source and correct the problem. Good luck and please let us know of the results.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 AM   #4

Bob
Did you buy from a dealer up North? If so, they take it to shows and other places to sell. In doing so, they drive over snow covered roads with salt on them. Yes Mine has this. I sprayed everything down with rustoleum that doesn't move. But some of the paint is peeling off. s/Toby
Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 AM   #5

The corrosion you're seeing today was surely there back in the Spring when you took delivery. Looking under and on top of a new coach, (besides the inside), should be on everyone's PDI.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #6

Thanks for your response(s). The corrosions WAS there when the coach was delivered (in Pensacola, FL). The dealership told me they saw it and took pictures of it when they were preparing the coach for delivery to us. Some of the corrosion in the front compartment could not possible have come from the any of the batteries. They are much lower and further back (20 feet) on the coach. The warranty facilitator at the dealership agrees with me that the chassis had to have this corrosion when they put the "house" on the chassis at Newmar. I'm dissapointed the dealer didn't tell us about this before we took delivery, but they give the impression that they are "on our side" with Newmar and Workhorse. Time will tell, but I'm getting my own "expert" out to the house to inspect and issue an opinion.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob, welcome to irv2. The chassis are shipped to Newmar from WH chassis Mfg on flat bed trucks stack three or four across flatbed. If delived in winter chassis may have received salt off road that way, I don't believe they are covered. Is the Newmar MA coach body showing rust or corrosion also? There are two dates of Mfg the chassis and the coach body, the chassis date will be on sticker on wall next to drivers set, coach will be on paper sheet in one of your cabinets listing appli,weights, paint #'s etc,etc.
You can put a call into Newmar repair center to form a complaint on record also. Tell them the dealer and WH center, and your coach number,who are looking into the matter and ask for their assistance in the matter. If you put your coach info in your sig-profile you won't have to post all the time. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:11 AM   #8

So far, both Newmar and Workhorse appear to be cooperative. "Howsoever," there is some evidence/language of "crawfishing" when I talk to the dealer, and everything is moving at a snail's pace. I was called by a supervisor at Newmar yesterday (10/21) and I told him that I did not want to use the coach until this was resolved. I told him that I was maintaining the coach (I have filled the fuel tank and added a small fortune in Stabil.) and it will be under shelter. But I am reluctant to put miles on it. Some of the corrosion took place (or migrated) after the house was put on the chasis; this is evidenced by corrosion around electrical connections close to the Onan. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #9

It is now more than six months since I brought this rust and corrosion to the attention of the dealer, thence to Newmar. Absolutely no progress has been made, so I had to engage an attorney. He says, after looking at all the evidence, including an independent inspection report, that Newmar And the dealer HAD to know about this when the coach was delivered. The attorney does not think that there's any doubt but that a jury will rule in our favor. The biggest problem now is: How much money are Newmar and the dealer willing to spend on attorney fees until they are forced to make things right? My attorney says that if they are smart, they'll give us our money back (interest is accruing at the rate of more than $1000 per month).
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The attorney does not think that there's any doubt but that a jury will rule in our favor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, As a very satisfied Newmar owner I'm quite disappointed that they do not seem to be addressing your problem. Here is some additional info you may find helpful-and it comes directly from Newmar's website. Go to Newmarcorp.com, then click the "why Newmar" button, then choose "construction" from the drop down menu, then choose "chassis Prep". You will see a nice little video in which they explain how the "entire chassis" is undercoated to prevent "corrosion". Perhaps this is info your lawyer can use to persue a good resolution for you.

Let me also say I'm sorry you had to get legal representation. We have good friends who took a similar course of action against Holiday Rambler for a multi-problem plagued coach. They were advised by two different attorneys (who took their money) that by going to court they would surely win. After 18+ months they finally got to court, only to have the judge rule against them. He decided they were at fault because they did not give HR enough opportunities to repair the coach. The lawyers got paid, and the coach sat unused for over a year(on the lawyer's advice) and our friends finally sold it at a loss, just to get rid of it. I must point out-they did not have the "benefit" of a jury trial, and the judge was less than sympathetic to all they disappointments they had endured. I hope you get better results, please keep us advised.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #11

I appreciate your interest and reply. However . . .I have been under this coach and there is no undercoating. There is a smattering of a tar-like substance in one place which looks like an attempt to cover some rust. Even the brake assemblies and stainless brake lines are not just rusted, but pitted where there is steel and corroded where there is aluminum. Rust is pushing up the paint from underneath where bolts are used on the frame. The stainless hose clamps under the front hood are rusted as well as the air conditioning lines. The rather large steel link for the steering mechanism is not just rusted, but pitted. Two large aluminun heat sinks in the hood area are powdered. The coach looks like it has been through flooding of some sort. Rust is seen in the bolts and receiving holes for those bolts which hold down the carpet in the basement area. The dealer had the coach for nine weeks at the end of the summer. Absolutely nothing was done to correct this complaint. I then waited for them (Newmar and Leisure Tyme [the dealer]) to make a decision on how best to proceed to rectify the problem. In November, the dealer called and said they would take the coach "after the holiday." I figured after Thanksgiving. Boy, was I wrong! They meant after New Year's day. The coach has again been at the dealer since then. Newmar wants to "at our expense, transport the coach back to the factory to inspect and see what needs to be done." Since we have been without a useable coach since August 16th, I had to act to protect an investment which is more than many people spend on their primary residence.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I appreciate your interest and reply. However . . .I have been under this coach and there is no undercoating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, I think you misunderstood my intentions. The first was to help you build your case against Newmar-they claim to undercoat-yours apparently got skipped.
The second was meant to encourage you to insist on a JURY trial. Good luck with your case...and Shame on Newmar and Leisure Tyme for not fixing this problem before it went to the lemon law level.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Suhrheinrich:
Took Delivery of a 2005 (new) Mountainaire (gas) on May 11, 2005. While checking the fluid levels in preparation for our first big trip, I noticed an inordinate amount of rust and corrosion under the hood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

I lived in Northern Massachusetts for almost 40 years and now live in Tampa Bay. Knowing what the road conditions are like in the Salt Belt my rule is not to buy a new vehicle in the winter or spring in the South as it will have most likely been manufactured and delivered during the peak of road salt use. The tempreatures and humidity levels down here will just set off a chain reaction that will eat up the vehicle if not properly cleaned up upon arrival at the dealership.

You are in a hard place right now but for those considering purchasing new, a late summer or fall purchase lessens the chances of getting something that was built and transported in the North over salty roads. If you live in the South and don't want something with Northern salt damage don't buy a vehicle that was made or transported in the Northern States during the winter or spring.

This does not help you right now but once you have come to a resolution to this problem which has depirved you of your coach and the funds involved for almost a year, if the resolution involves a new coach, personally, I would not accept another made, stored or transported in the North during the road salt months.

I hope they finally take proper care of you and everything works out to your satisfaction.

Kindest regards,

Neil
Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #14

No, I knew your post was strictly on my behalf. Your "Shame on Newmar" comment is right on target. And their indecision for lo these many months on what to do to rectify the problem is why I had to act. My independent inspection source says there is no way this much rust and corrosion can be fixed. The pitting is so bad on the frame that if they de-mated the house from the chasis and tried to sand blast and repaint, the frame would no longer have the capability to support safely the 24,000-pound max allowable gross weight. The margin for error would be gone in the sand as it were. Thanks again for your interest.