Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Cost of brake job?

Just wondering if anybody has an idea how much a typical brake job would cost on a 1993 30ft class A chevy chassis with four wheel disk breaks. I have pulled the tires off and everything seems ok, just starting to run low on pad lining on the inside. so has anybody had there brake pads replaced and possibly had rotors turned. if so how much did it cost you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Depends on where you take it. Most places look at it as a large truck thus about $400.00

Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

if you have the wheels off that is the hard part just be sure to set a jack stand under the corner that you are working on, get a repair manual it is very basic repair you carefully remove the caliper push the piston back into the caliper, i use an old pad and a c clamp reload the new pads into the caliper install and secure with the removed hardware, removing the rotors aren't a major deal.
if they are smooth and you feel no vibration when the brakes are applied leave them alone
then be sure to start the rig and pump the pedal several times to reseat the new pads the drive it and use the brake gently several times to bed them in
you don't open the brake lines ever so no need to bleed them. it really is a simple repair good luck
parts are not extremely high and you will save a ton on labor
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

i like your way of thinking. I think im gonna get a manual and get after it.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

It's brakes, not breaks.

Also, don't forget that your P-chassis has single piston brake calipers. This is the cheapest way to construct a caliper, but means that it must move sideways when the brakes are applied so force is applied to both brake pads. It is necessary to clean and lubricate the caliper slide parts when you do a brake job, and the parts should be shown in a manual.

Most vehicles have single piston brake calipers; with the double and four piston calipers only used on costlier and/or high performance vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharley View Post
i like your way of thinking. I think im gonna get a manual and get after it.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you truly want to get by cheap then just replace the pads, however, flushing the fluid should be a MUST DO. The fluid absorbs moisute over time and when the brakes heat up, the fluid will boil easily and your brakes simply go way. Not fun!
If the rotors are not warped or damaged, there is no need to turn them.

IMHO, on that old of a chassis the entire brake system should be considered for overhaul. On my coach, I had no idea of previous mantenance so I replaced all 4 calipers & pads, the master cylinder and all rubber hoses. The LAST thing you want to have trouble with on something as big and heavy as a motorhome is the brakes.

As far as price, I do all my own work so for me it was just the cost of the parts.

Good Luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I can testify to the importance of having the fluid checked,perged, and replaced. This should be done every couple of years as I found out the hard way on vacation this year. I lost all brakes driving on a curvy and mountainous road near Blairsville Ga.Luckily I was able to limp in to a great mechanics shop in Blairsville. He checked the fluid, and pulled off all 6 tires to check the brake pads. Luckily all the pads and rotors were good, so I escaped with just a fluid change. I think I paid about $175.00 for all his work, about five hours, and was glad to do so. I can guarantee you it was scary driving for ten miles with little or no brakes.

Bart Anderson

Tags
brake