Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I tried to save money years ago and pulled my 6 year old slide toppers off, cut off 6" and had them resewn. They lasted less than a year. Just wasn't worth it to repair.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #16

I hear you on that Don.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
NO way would I replace. At around 10 years the white thread fails...I’ve had good luck re-sewing with black thread. 3 of the 4 Carefree toppers had enough unused fabric to cut all of the used off but only about half of the larger one.

Finding the hole to keep the spring from unrolling on the first one takes longer than removing the fabric. Paid $140 to have all 4 cut and re-sewn on my previous rig and on current. If the shop does not have the new plastic rod that goes in the J track, coax cable is the same diameter and costs less.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #18

Great information, thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #19

I got up on the roof yesterday and I can tell both slide toppers were not inpected during the PDI.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I will say again, repairing them is a waste of time. My thought process, when I repaired mine...... only the material I cut off was outside the storage box and was exposed to constant sun, the rest should be good.

I had them professionally resewn by a canvas shop, but the reality was the material was old and went bad again in one third the time the new material did. I'll disagree with "Ivylog" because he sold his last coach and bought the latest one without enough time elapsing to see that he wasted his money having them repaired.

The reality, if you can do your own work, the cost of new material isn't a lot more than having the old material resewn and having to do the job again a year or two later.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
My 04 Dynasty is next door and the fabric is still going strong after 5 years. At 10 years the white thread failed (on both MHs) not the fabric and just re-seeing would easily gotten another 5 years...some of the fabric on the larger slide has now been exposed to the sun for 15 years on the Dynasty. By cutting off all of the fabric exposed to the sun (on 3 of the 4) you have essentially new material that should last longer than 10 years.

Let me say it this way. If what I did to the Dynasty had not been successful do you really think I’d do the same thing again to my 08 Navigator?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
UD-

A buddy and I replaced our coach's two toppers from the roof. It was not difficult. The spring-tension thing is something to be careful with, for sure, but did not seem dangerous (not so sure that's the same for the rotary springs on our garage doors!)

I went with the Stone Vos toppers, based on recommendations here on iRV2. Ingrid is the co-owner; her customer service is excellent (as is that of Chris, her husband). Ingrid recommended Migliore vinyl for the material, for it stands up better in freezing environments such as ours and yours.

Another vote for Stone Vos. Chris and Ingrid are coach owners and Chris travels to many rallies every year. He not only sells topper and parts for awnings, he also inspects roofs and slides for leaks and other problems. He does these inspections free of charge.

Chris is a perfectionist and his materials are first class. You will not be sorry if you buy from Stone Vos.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Was traveling in Florida a couple of months ago (before getting there one of my slide toppers blew out) Called Stone Vos and had all three toppers replaced. They provided the material and suggested a local mobile repair guy to install them. The cost for three pretty nice toppers was around $700 and the installer charged $100 each installation. That installer also caulked a couple suspect places on the roof at no charge. I'm pleased with the project.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide, air, replace, ace