Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Couch with heat ducts replacement

Has anyone replaced a couch with the integrated heat ducts as shown in the below photo? Wanting to know feasibility of replacing with 2 recliners but wondering what to do with duct work. I'm guessing it's the silver covered slinky-type tubes that connect to those vents in the couch skirt.

Thanks,

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	118374  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have something similar in my coach, actually three ducts underneath. You may have a furnace under there as well - mine does.

If only the ducts, you can make a hard cover "tunnel" against the wall behind the sofa and put the outlet(s) in that. Or just end the duct near one end of the sofa, with an outlet there. Probably doesn't make much difference in the heat distribution, but you have to make your own call on that. Just don't reduce the overall sq inches of outlet space, so total air flow is not reduced.

If there is a furnace under there, it takes more creativity. It's a fairly large box! And it has air intake as well as the outlet ducts.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks Gary. The issue is that I want to get rid of the couch & replace w/recliners so the tunnel would most likely be visible behind the recliners. The sink cabinet is next to the couch, so I could see what routing into that would do so long as the vent wouldn't be be blocked by the bottom of the recliner. May also be able to route out the front at the kickplate. Will have to check to see exactly what's under that couch.

Lori-
Old 02-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood had sent me my furnace schematics on my 35E. I wonder if they would answer your question here if you had them for yours. I didn't have vents in the sofa.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Don't tell FW, but this is in a SOB DP I'm considering. If FW finds out, they may put a curse on my Bounder.

Lori-
Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
Community Administrator

I knew your Bounder didn't have that , but I wasn't going to be the one to jinx it .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

Lori,

I have seen a blog where the person did what you described. If I remember correctly they made a wooden box to house the radiator and blower portion of the heater and then made a plenum for the duct work up against the wall. I've tried to find the blog but so far I've struck out, but I know it's do-able. If I find it I'll post back. The reason it stuck in my mind was that I want to do the same thing in my coach by getting rid of the couch and putting in recliners. If yours just has the air duct hoses and no radiator or heater it would be simpler.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Has anyone replaced a couch with the integrated heat ducts as shown in the below photo? Wanting to know feasibility of replacing with 2 recliners but wondering what to do with duct work. I'm guessing it's the silver covered slinky-type tubes that connect to those vents in the couch skirt.

Thanks,

Lori-
Hi Lori,
Assuming you don't have a furnace under the couch, a fairly simple option is to construct a ductwork made of matching stained wood along the back wall and the sink wall where the duct work likely travels from. You don't even need to use a flex duct inside the wooden cavity (tunnel) and the dimension don't have to be square. Just large enough to have as much or more internal total square inches. i.e. a 4" round duct has about 12.5 sq. inches. The area of a rectangular constructed wooden duct with an internal dimension of 3"x5" has 15 sq. inches of area. Heck, you could even salvage the vents from the sofa and reuse them. Only glitch could be adapting with a clean transition to the sink wall. If you're handy with basic tools and woodworking this is not too tough of a job. If your not, it should be a simple job for a professional. Oh, and the wooden duct (tunnel) can also be used to enclose any wiring which may also exist under the couch.

Probably the biggest challenge is mounting the recliners either permanently or with travel restraints.

In any event, enjoy the shopping decisions
cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks to both of you. DH is very handy so I'm sure he could construct something that'd suffice. Just gotta think it through.

Lori-
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so the tunnel would most likely be visible behind the recliners.
I get that, but a "tunnel" along the sidewall, carpeted or whatever, is not real noticeable. A pal of mine did that with his HR Endeavor and it looks fine. On his, the duct comes out from behind the galley cabinet and he simply made a cover that allowed the duct to extend about 18" and then ends in an outlet on the end for the heat to escape. His is nicely finished wood, stained to match the rest of the coach interior trim. You could even terminate it closer to the galley cabinet.

The biggest problem with the recliner is that often they are wider than the slide depth and hang out past the front edge of the slide. If it's not a flush-floor slide, you may need to make a portable support to fill the gap between main floor and recliner feet. Many models also need extra space behind them, to recline. "Wall hugger" recliner models need less.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your setup looks just like ours and I bet that your furnace is under the oven. In that case you have one or two ducts running beneath the sink and out through the side wall of the cabinet which abuts the sink. Hoses then run under the couch. If you want to make it simple just put the outlet vents from the couch onto the hoses where they pass through the cabinet wall. There might be 2 holes. Point the vents in 2 different directions to keep the distribution even.
If you want to duct the heat behind the chairs then consider using a triangular space by placing a board with beveled edges against the side wall and the floor. Coachmen used this method to conceal wiring beneath the dinette on ours. Carpet it over.
Another option would be to install insulated ducting beneath the floor and using floor vents. They make a rigid fiberglass or foam duct with a foil covering that would work great.
Thanks for the idea by the way. I sat on our couch the other day and realized that it feels like a slab of plywood. I figured that reupholstering would be a pain. Two EZ chairs would be perfect or even one and a small table!
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, heat, replace, replacement