About a week ago I was over to the storage lot to check on the RV. It is plugged into 30 amp, and everything was fine at that time.
Thursday afternoon I go over to pick up the RV because I am taking into the Ford dealer for the PRNDL recall and it is over 100 degrees inside. The A/C was supposed to be on. I checked the pedestal and the breaker had tripped. Re-set the breaker and after the surge-guard kicked the elect. on to the RV the breaker immediately tripped again. I then uplugged and brought the MH over to the house and tried plugging
it in at the house. We have 50 amp v/s the 30 amp at the storage lot. Needless to say, when the elect. came on to the MH the breaker tripped. So I unplugged everything and tried the generator, it ran fine, but tripped its breakers. So after making sure I was disconnected from
elect. and no power was to the RV. Didn't want to get zapped! I took the cover off to the TRC transfer switch (Model 41260) and discoverd most of the wiring on the inside was burnt to a crisp.
So I called a local RV repair and they said bring it in, so after I get the PRNDL recall done, I will take it to the shop to get fixed. I do not mess with elect at all.
I have never ran the generator while plugged into shore power. I do run the generator once a month to excerise it though, but always with the coach unplugged. And I have always used a TRC surge guard (Model 34750)
We have approx. 10K on the MH and this is the first problem we have really had with it. I all ready called TRC and they said it only has a 1 year warranty and pretty much said its my problem now. They said it is just something that can happen and said to also look at a Model 40250 transfer switch as a replacement.
Now the question is; could this have caused the MH to catch fire? And why would it do this?
Somewhat of an update:
Took the MH in to the garage. They called TRC (on a speaker phone so I could hear) ref. if the unit could be repaired or would they have to order a new one. They are not repairable any more. Apparently at one time they could be sent in and repaired.
So a new one will be forth coming.
Anyway, while they had them on the phone the service rep. at where I was ask what would cause this to occur. The TRC rep said the most common problem is a loose connection. He added that to the best of his knowledge a fire has never been the
result of this happening. Not that it couldn't, just that he had never heard of it happening.
The TRC rep. also said that all the connections should be checked on an annual basis, as the vibration from driving down the road can cause the wires to come loose.
Just something else to check now. (With electric off!)