Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

This is our first winter with this motorhome. I plan to have it winterized within 2 weeks. I am thinking of buying a full cover, Tyvek, etc. Our location is NJ, 1/4 mile inland from a large saltwater bay. The coach won't be under any trees. Roof is fiberglass. If it is covered I will be able to start it (diesel and diesel genset) at least monthly but won't be able to drive it until probably March. If I don't cover it, I will be able to drive it once a month to exercise the engine and running gear. I plan to exercise the genset with an electric heater for a load for 1/2 hour.
What are your suggestions?
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #2

This is our first winter with this motorhome. I plan to have it winterized within 2 weeks. I am thinking of buying a full cover, Tyvek, etc. Our location is NJ, 1/4 mile inland from a large saltwater bay. The coach won't be under any trees. Roof is fiberglass. If it is covered I will be able to start it (diesel and diesel genset) at least monthly but won't be able to drive it until probably March. If I don't cover it, I will be able to drive it once a month to exercise the engine and running gear. I plan to exercise the genset with an electric heater for a load for 1/2 hour.
What are your suggestions?
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Drive it once a month just to keep that feeling. Besides you never know when you may have to move in a hurry and you will have your house with you in case.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I used a cover once for a few months. Installing and removing the cover is a bit of a chore. I'm not afraid of heights but it seemed like a job that was an accident waiting to happen. I found covered storage.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I covered my first 2 motorhomes. However it was a big chore to put on and remove. I also found that unless you properly secure the cover it will shift with the wind and rip as mine did.

Today I do not cover. With the fiberglass roof and sides, it holds up to the winter quite well if cleaned and waxed peoperly.

With it uncovered I can drive the coach to exercise it and get the engine up to running temperature. I also run the generator while doing this. This also eliminates the need to add a gas treatment which is needed if you do not run the engine and generator.

I hope this helps you.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #6

Yes it will rip in the wind even tied down as they suggest. I have a new replacement still in the box to fit 34-37' if you want it. I built a shed next to the house with the front and back open.
retiredrlk1 is offline   Reply With Quote