Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had an RV tarp, it was a major pain to get up there by myself, but I devised a system. I placed the cover with it rolled lengthwise beside the front of the motorhome. I tied a rope to the roll and dragged it up top. The tarp was rolled with the front on the outside and the interior of the trap on the outside. Once I dragged the roll up top and near the front, I unrolled enough to cover the front and a few feet of the top. Drop the front over the windshield and unroll the rest toward the rear. Start down the ladder and have a line tied to back edge. Now all you have to do is to pull the cover even and secure it.

The remove it, use a pole to push the back up over the ladder. Up top, roll toward the front of the coach as you go. At the front I would just roll it up and let it fall to the ground. Once on the ground, you can finish, rolling it up and tie it however you want.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #16

have you guys seen this

available at campingworld
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZEE UP RV Cover Lift.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	34517  

Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver007 View Post
available at campingworld
Yes I have. If you read my initial post, you'll see that I tried this device already, with very disappointing results.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #18

One other thing to add my "Pole" I use is a 10' closet pole (wood) and took a kids sponge play about 4" in diameter and hollowed out the pole diameter about 2" deep and glued the ball on. If you use anything small sooner or later you will rip your cover. I know because I did !
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I covered mine for the first time this year, i had help covering but uncovered it myself. I am sure that I got this from ADCO instructions. I did what tdogking said, tie a rope around the front part of the cover, go up the ladder with the rope, then pull up the front of the cover then walk forward. It worked like a champ. My son helped to keep it from snagging on the ground, and I worked on the roof. To reroll it place the sides on over the top of the cover, then roll from the back and it will be ready to go next time.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I covered mine for the first time this year, i had help covering but uncovered it myself. I am sure that I got this from ADCO instructions. I did what tdogking said, tie a rope around the front part of the cover, go up the ladder with the rope, then pull up the front of the cover then walk forward. It worked like a champ. My son helped to keep it from snagging on the ground, and I worked on the roof. To reroll it place the sides on over the top of the cover, then roll from the back and it will be ready to go next time.
My cover came with the same instructions and I tried them. The reason I don't like this idea is that my cover picked up too much debris from the ground on it's way up. I was concerned that I would pick up a small rock that would later scratch the paint, defeating the whole idea of covering it to begin with. The only time my cover comes into contact with the ground is after I roll it up from the roof and toss it over the side. Even then I'm careful to brush off any unwanted debris.

Craig

Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #21

We solved the cover dilemma by buying a 16' X 48' X 16' high garage with an apartment on top. Also has a single car garage at the front.
Garage has a 50A plug, water connection and large floor drain. Dump station is just out the back door.
We are really looking forward to getting settled into our new home and getting the best of both worlds as we come and go.
No more packing and un-packing, winterizing, covering and un-covering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unit 8.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	34586   Click image for larger version

Name:	unit 8 back.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	34587  

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #22

With what you are talking about spending, you could have a carport installed. Drive under and no cover to hassle with.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Unroll the cover on the ground in front or in back but keep it bunched together (skinny) and tie a rope to the end closest to your coach, throw rope on roof , climb up and slowly pull it up while walking back, or stay on end and gather it all up on top. You don't have the weight of the whole cover this way and your wife can help a little on ground if needed. That's how I do mine. One key is to roll it up the same way every time so when you set on ground and roll it out its always the right way (front/back). Covers might be a hassle but its more of a hassle working to pay for something ruined by the sun.
this is what i do

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #24

Go back to post #13 and do what Jim sayes. I`ve been covering mine by myself the exact same way right down to the rubber bands on the straps for over 10 years. Only hangup will be windy days.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #25

2X on the windy days...like trying to rake leaves in the wind...one of these days I will build a shed...most likely modular over mine...it sits close to the adjoining property line so cant do anything permanent...but not having to mess with a cover will be nice...my only problem right now is water pools on passenger side where big awning runs down the side...went to Wally World and bought several balls to put under it in strategic spots...curses...foiled again...my coach is leveled on jacks to take pressure off tires...its always something with land yachts :-)
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #26

A case of beer and a couple of neighbours.Cheers Gerald
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I stored my cover in a 50 gallon trash container with wheels and when I covered my MH I rolled it to the front and tied a rope to it and pulled it up from the roof. I did this by myself alot of times but just make sure there is no wind.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I stored my cover in a 50 gallon trash container with wheels and when I covered my MH I rolled it to the front and tied a rope to it and pulled it up from the roof. I did this by myself alot of times but just make sure there is no wind.
The whole container or just the cover?

Craig