Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSGUY View Post
So those of you using "Reflectix" brand of foil covered bubble wrap insulation the question is "How are you getting it to stay in place?". Especially if you put it on the exterior of the coach! Any pics?

I have 80% shade window covers over my glass, especially on my port side as I always park (full time boondocker) with my port side in a southern exposer, depending on the time of the year.

The Reflectix is cut to size, and slipped under the shade cloth. I just leave it there on the largest port window even during travel, and install as needed elsewhere, takes only minutes.

I have a friend that uses carpet tape on selected windows, and they hold even during travel. He replaces yearly.

Ed
USN Ret.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the bubble stuff in extreme heat situations and YES it does help keeping the heat down.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #17

Don't use the Aluminized bubble wrap on double pane windows. It will cause fogging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
We use the bubble stuff in extreme heat situations and YES it does help keeping the heat down.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Reflectex

I bought a roll of this stuff and I lined my cabinets with it and I made window covers and hold them in place with spring clips. The window covers have made a difference and the x-large reflectix like windshield cover really does work for keeping the temperature lower in the rig. If I had the money I would have the outside shades made too. The key is to not let the rig get hot in the first place because it take a long time to cool it down with just a single A/C unit.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
The key is to not let the rig get hot in the first place because it take a long time to cool it down with just a single A/C unit.
x2

With our windows, we just cut the Reflectix slightly oversized, and it holds itself in the (interior) window channels. The big windshield piece is held up with Velcro.

Another thing we do is we cut "pillows" of thick foam rubber to fit inside our skylights over the shower and at the fan vent in the bathroom (the skylights let in a surprising amount of heat ).

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #20

I cut the reflectix to fit each window, I use 2 4' x 10' rolls for the windshield and side windows..( 1 piece covers the drivers window and that half of the windshield, the other piece covers passenger side window and that side of the windshield ) I installed these on each of the 5 roof vents...Dual Vent Cover - White - Camco RV 45651 - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World ..I did this primarily for storage purposes, as I have no shade or a building at home (yet) to park under. Also, I don't winterize, but leave the furnace set at 45 during the winter, so I'm hoping as it gets colder, this stuff will also keep the heat IN a bit better.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I have 80% shade window covers over my glass, especially on my port side as I always park (full time boondocker) with my port side in a southern exposer, depending on the time of the year.

Ed
USN Ret.
port side? The OP is asking about an RV not a boat...lol

for us who haven't boated? Port is right or left?

and thank you for your service!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #22

I am following this topic with interest as my DW and I are contemplating a windshield cover as well. I read in one of the archieves on this forum that by using the foil bubble wrap it radiates heat into the glass and is prone to cracking. We started to use bubble wrap after spending time in Vegas in the summer time..and we would have baked if we did not use foil wrap. I am considering a Magna Shade windshield cover as was suggested by someone in the archieves, but have not known anyone who has used one. We store our coach all winter up here in Canada and have used the foil and works great. But the custom ones look alot nicer.

Anyone ever use this brand of glass cover??

Thanks
Ted
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

Port has 4 letters. So does Left. Hint, hint, hint....
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #24

Dunner....same thinking for starboard?(sp) lol
Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
I am following this topic with interest as my DW and I are contemplating a windshield cover as well. I read in one of the archieves on this forum that by using the foil bubble wrap it radiates heat into the glass and is prone to cracking. We started to use bubble wrap after spending time in Vegas in the summer time..and we would have baked if we did not use foil wrap. I am considering a Magna Shade windshield cover as was suggested by someone in the archieves, but have not known anyone who has used one. We store our coach all winter up here in Canada and have used the foil and works great. But the custom ones look alot nicer.

Anyone ever use this brand of glass cover??

Thanks
Ted
Here's more than you ever wanted to know. https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...earch=irv2.com

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Don't use the Aluminized bubble wrap on double pane windows. It will cause fogging.
Did you have personal use and problems with that?
And know for fact that is what caused the fogging?

Or your glass shop said the bubble wrap caused it.

You do know, their are hundreds of RV double pane windows that fog over every year. Without the owners ever using the bubble wrap.

I had one fog, with no bubble wrap ever used on it.
And others(bedroom) that have had bubble wrap covering them 24/7 for over 3 years, with no fogging.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #27

Hi Triker56,

I didn't have personal problems, merely repeating what has been said about bubble wrap many times in other posts.

We started using bubble wrap while dry-camped at a sports car event in Kansas, and it really helped bring the temperature down. This was in a 1995 Safari Trek, which has very large front windows. I put the material inside the windshield and the two front side windows (all others were double pane). When we bought a used 1999 Trek, it had double pane glass on the two front side windows; which were partially fogged. We had these rebuilt at Suncoast Designers in Florida, and they also advised against using bubble wrap on double pane windows. Not using bubble wrap on double pane windows may not prevent eventual future fogging, but I'm not gonna tempt fate by going against lots of recommendations against using it.

The double panes do a pretty good job of insulation, but single pane glass lets a lot of heat through. It may be that the trouble with bubble wrap on double pane windows depends on how much sun shines on the window. I discovered this since we park our Trek in the driveway, and always use the inside bubble wrap windshield cover since the coach faces south into the sun. I added self adhesive velcro strips on the bubble wrap covers I made for inside the windshield, and the heat melted the adhesive which then ran down the rubber window edge in a gooey mess.

The bottom line is that the double pane windows, and bubble wrap on the windshield, keeps the interior cool. I also found that letting the awning down when the sun is on that side really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

You do know, their are hundreds of RV double pane windows that fog over every year. Without the owners ever using the bubble wrap.

And others(bedroom) that have had bubble wrap covering them 24/7 for over 3 years, with no fogging.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

If you walk up to a window in full sun with that reflective bubble wrap inside it and touch it (the glass or the frame), I think you'll have a good hint at why I'll never use it on a double pane window. I think they're being over heated big time with those in place, but that's just an opinion.

I'm really curious about your comment stating that you are using them without fogging? Are those windows located where the sun has a pretty good shot at them (facing south or west, without shade)? Are they normally facing north or located on a part of the coach that's normally shaded?
-Al