Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #1

ANY ONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM AND HAVE A SOLUTION, I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL. THE TANK HAS A SPIDER WEB APPEARING CRACK, WHICH SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY LACK OF PROPER SUPPORT OFN THE FLOORING DURING CONSTRUCTION. IT IS A 1993 NEWMAR, MOUNTAIN AIRE CLASS A.
I DISCOVERED THEY CRACK ABOUT A YEAR AGO BY THE STALE WATER ODER COMING FROM THE BASEMENT. WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING THE PROBLEM EVER SINCE WITH TWO MAIN SOLUTION REPAIR IT OR REPLACE IT.
NEEDLESS TO SAY REPLACING IS VERY DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE. REPAIR IS DIFFICULT BECAUSE I CAN NOT DETERMINE WHAT THE TANK IS MADE OF, TO ACCEPT THE REPAIR METHOD. WE THINK IT IS POLYETHYLENE, NOW THE QUESTION WHAT KIND OF POLYETHYLENE? THE ANSWER IS IMPORTANT SO THAT WE CAN USE THE CORRECT MATERIAL TO WELD OR GLUE THE REPAIR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #2

ANY ONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM AND HAVE A SOLUTION, I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL. THE TANK HAS A SPIDER WEB APPEARING CRACK, WHICH SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY LACK OF PROPER SUPPORT OFN THE FLOORING DURING CONSTRUCTION. IT IS A 1993 NEWMAR, MOUNTAIN AIRE CLASS A.
I DISCOVERED THEY CRACK ABOUT A YEAR AGO BY THE STALE WATER ODER COMING FROM THE BASEMENT. WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING THE PROBLEM EVER SINCE WITH TWO MAIN SOLUTION REPAIR IT OR REPLACE IT.
NEEDLESS TO SAY REPLACING IS VERY DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE. REPAIR IS DIFFICULT BECAUSE I CAN NOT DETERMINE WHAT THE TANK IS MADE OF, TO ACCEPT THE REPAIR METHOD. WE THINK IT IS POLYETHYLENE, NOW THE QUESTION WHAT KIND OF POLYETHYLENE? THE ANSWER IS IMPORTANT SO THAT WE CAN USE THE CORRECT MATERIAL TO WELD OR GLUE THE REPAIR.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here are several previous posts concerning possible tank repairs.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=GRA...frm%26s%3D807609915 2

Here is another link to also check.
Grey Tank Crack Repair
Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had the same thing happen on our first coach years ago, way older than yours. It was not a high-end coach (there weren't many then) and it had a plastic (of some kind) black tank, with no bottom support at all. You guessed it, it cracked. Got it home, bought a fiberglass repair kit, and plastered a layer of glass to the bottom. I saw the coach fifteen years later, still holding up.

I'm not a plastics engineer, so take that for what it is worth. All I can say is it worked for me. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Google "Triple M Plastics" in Kennebunk Maine. They can weld, repair, replace any shape or size tank up to and including fire trucks. Amazing process to watch. Good people.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #6

Harmonica,

I feel your pain....truly. We had a 1992 Kountry Star and in 2006 developed a crack in the gray water tank. It was just at the back of that L shape as it came down and we were told it could not be fixed and had to spend around $1300 for the replacement. Part of that issue is the rip off high price of the "RV tech" across this country.

It gets worse. 3 months afterward, the same thing happened to our black tank. Now by this time we had ordered a new coach and my husband was not going to pay this again and was determined to repair rather than replace. However 2 repairs later, we ended up having to replace that too as the repairs would not hold. I would strongly recommend that if you do a replace of one....do both. They are the same age, and it is age and the same design flaw that causes this and they are due to fail close to each other.

Good luck in your repairs no matter how you get it fixed. If you can find someone outside the RV industry that knows what they are doing it would be less expensive, but that is wishing for a lot.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Is there any way to "block up" or support the tank's weight, and possibly prevent this? My tanks are held up by steel straps with little support underneath, and you've got me wondering....
Am I trying to hijack? If so, please ignore.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HARM...
camping world touts eternabond tape as a repair for holding tanks. it comes in 37 foot by 4 inch rolls and square? patches. i recently ordered a roll, about $90.
check out other posts on eternabond tape using the find button and search. check the cw website...
dan
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #9

Harmonica,

Eternabond is one of the fixes we tried that did not work, however, it is always worth a try. Another just FYI....once the leak is permanently fixed, if you have residual odor in the basement....go to PetSmart and get some "Nature's Miracle". It is for pet stains/odors, but works well on any biological odor. You pour it on, soaking the area, and let it dry. It is an enzyme acting product and we found it to work wonders.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi harmonica,
Welcome to iRV2. Go here and consider this product. This is a cheap and easy fix. If it does not work, it didn't cost much to try.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote