Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cracked windshield, replace or no????

We just bought a 2007 Georgetown 378 class A. We haven't picked it up yet and probably won''t until spring, we'll leave it at the dealers. It has a small sort of half circle crack in the windshield way down at the bottom. You don't really see it and overall it's about 3 to 4 inches overall and makes a backward 'C' from top to bottom at the center. I don't think it will spread as it starts at the center line of the windshield travels out and down and comes back to the centerline. They will replace the windshield if I want them to for no charge. Question is since this is small, out of anybodys field of vision and unlikely to spread, do I really want it changed. Does it affect the integrity of the coach adversely if I change it? The other question is if I ever get stopped by the cops for going 110 mph or something, if they write me a ticket and say it has to be changed I'm probably going to be stuck for the cost since if I try to put full glass coverage on it that crack would be listed as preexisting. Anybody had a windshield replaced?? Thanks

MoHo Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #2

That's a no brainer, If it will be done a no cost to you, DO IT!!! (But make sure it is done correctly!!!)
Alfa38User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Yes I have had a windshield replaced. Painless! They came to my home and did it in my drive way. Had the heated sealant in their truck and was done in less than a half an hour. Never had a problem with the new windshield. IMHO it is in your best interest to have it replaced now, especially since the dealer is offering to foot the bill. Mine cost the insurance company $985.00 installed.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa38User View Post
That's a no brainer, If it will be done a no cost to you, DO IT!!! (But make sure it is done correctly!!!)
I agree also.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

I had the same thing happen to me in 2003 and the dealer changed the windshield. Get it done that their cost.
RDNesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #6

For "SURE" get it changed!!

Rick
Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Have it replaced> The windshield is a structural part of the coach. The cause for the crack is probably bad instalation which can be corrected upon replacement.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
get it replaced

its getting cold out as well and a little rain and some freezing temps may just cause it to got CRACK all the way across
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replace it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
MoHo Dave: Yeah, I always struggle with the same dilema when considering issues like yours. I think to myself....well, I should have it done,.....but.....if I do it and the new windshield isn't installed correctly I'll have more issues...like leaks...and, this little crack isn't bad.....but geeeze, it is a no cost replacement and it'd be nice to have a new sparkling windshield.....but what if it doesn't get seated correctly.....etc. etc. etc. This back and forth thinking and fretting drives me nuts!!!! Guess in this case, however, I'd get it replaced...but by techs who know how to correctly do it. Steve
Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Have it done at the Dealer........ BUT TRUST NOBODY

Learn all you can about the process and watch them do it, don't help them if you do it may cost you mony, just stop them and talk to the service manager. If it's done correctly your way ahead, if it's done incorrectly your way behind, the delear has nothing to gain and just a few bucks to spend so your the one with the vested intrest.
Pay Attention

Dick
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As Above have All said.... Get it changed at No Cost!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though it may be perfectly save and a half circle crack is one of the least likely to spread

Law says if a police officer stopps you he can write you a ticket for cracked windshield

So replace it... or better yet, since you have not yet taken possession, have the dealer do it as a condition.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: I can relate to your question. Ours had a small crack that finally extended all the way across the window in a snow storm. Make sure the rubber trim is properly installed so that it isn't loose. Also, it may seem like a simple thing to get a replacement OEM window that is identicle, but the color of the shade stripe on the top may not match the other window. Even if the type code is identicle, WI changes the color from time to time and you just get what is current (not what was used on your coach). I ended up ordering an aftermarket window that was much closed in color that the WI replacement.

Just a "heads up". Good luck
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote