Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE

Many discussions are posted in many threads. One of the many is the dreaded JACK WON'T COME UP problem. Time and time again I read of problems and we all can get long winded with our experiences and solutions.

I am asking for your help here. I have started using
CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE on my jacks. I would like to know your results from using this stuff and how you use it. Please start your post with the jacks, before and after results, retract time. After that tell us what else it helped or hindered.

I want to dispel any myths about this stuff. Facts and results will help many of us who are constantly delayed because of jack retraction.

For my brief results I will simply say I am happy. But I want to hear from others before I go into detail.

Happy trails all,
Rick

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

Can't really comment on that particular product, but plain 'ol white lithium grease (I use a spray and hit both side of the cylinder) has worked just fine for me.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #3

I've been told that it's best to use a spray silicone lubricant with silicone the key for any lubricant that you choose!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Here is what the Jack Manufacturer, HWH has to say on the subject.

HWH FAQ

47. Should I lubricate the cylinder rods?
The cylinder rods do not have to be lubricated. The following is a link to an information sheet available on the HWH website. http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf

48. Is there something I can lubricate my jacks with to make them retract faster? How long should it take to completely retract my jacks?
Lubricating a jack rod can help with retraction time but if lubrication is necessary, there is most likely a problem with the springs or the jack itself. The only thing HWH recommends to use is WD-40. Refer to the following link for jack maintenance information. http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf. The following link gives detailed information about allowable jack retraction times. http://www.hwh.com/mi9553.pdf
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I

Well. I did get a few responses. That's good.

About the lithium spray? If it works, good for you. Stick with it. My thread is looking for input from those who use the CRC stuff.

About the silicone spray? Over time it will build up and slow the pistons down. I used to use it and had to clean the jacks with WD40 after several uses. The cycle was.. spray, good retraction. Slow again.. spray, good retraction. Slow or no go. Spray again. OK but not that quick. Wash with WD40 and start all over again. I got tired of that routine. I needed a better 'solution'.

About the HWH input? BUNK. RUBBISH. NOT ALL TRUE. The WD40 wash is the only reliable advise they published in the users article. And that info was not in my first coach's manual. I found it online!

I tried the CRC because I have tried so many of the other conflicting and failing methods. I wanted to pioneer a new choice, one that might help all who are as frustrated as I have been. It is just no fun (NOT a happy camper moment) climbing under the coach to wash the jacks frequently, or to dig out the pry tool that you use to get that darn stubborn slow jack up in less than a half hour. I have had too many bad moments with jacks and at the most inopportune times.

I tried the CRC lube for other reasons. I first found out about on irv2. The topic was on stuff that works hard or sticks; door squeaks, stiff hinges, rust and so forth. I was so pleased with the results that I decided to try it on my jacks. I was a little trimmed in doing so because of all the warnings from HWH and from what others had written on the subject of jack problems.

I could not believe how quickly the jacks retracted after the first treatment of CRC. After a week or so I sprayed them down again just because. I had no other reason.

I can tell you that the stuff is working as I could only hope in my fondest desire for the jacks to function. Cold (20's F) or warmer (70's F) they retract at the same rate. I am amazed each time I bring them up.

So, with all of this said, please tell me if my experience is unique or are others having the same results. What I am doing is totally against what HWH recommends.

Happy trails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Where do you buy this stuff?

On a side note, I have one jack that I have to raise with a 2x4 98% of the time. I discovered this winter that it retracts by itself more frequently if it is near freezing outside. I don't know what that means really, but it is an observation.

I may try the stuff you're talking about as a last ditch effort before I replace the entire jack. I've tried everything else.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Where do you buy this stuff?

On a side note, I have one jack that I have to raise with a 2x4 98% of the time. I discovered this winter that it retracts by itself more frequently if it is near freezing outside. I don't know what that means really, but it is an observation.

I may try the stuff you're talking about as a last ditch effort before I replace the entire jack. I've tried everything else.
CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE

Copy and paste the above line into your web browser. You can get it from Amazon. CRC has many products and many in green colored cans. The secret ingredient to look for is the PTFE which is a form of Teflon.

I did not mention in my original post that I bought this stuff for my slide rails and gears. It was recommended in the forum for this usage. It worked so well that I just got carried away and if it moved or squeaked, or even looked rusty I sprayed some of this on it. I have not been disappointed yet.

HWH recommends using a soft cloth to wipe the jacks down after spraying them with WD40. Clean real well where the jack ram enters the case. Dirt can build up in that area and that will slow the jacks. The further you can extend the jacks the better you can clean them of course.

I am looking forward to your results. If your slow jack has some internal or system problem, this may not help.

I was inspired to use the CRC product by the inherent problem we all seem to have from almost day one. Slow retracting jacks. I hope we are going to be able to give others a positive and true tested alternative here. The more that join in the better the experience results. It might not be scientific but it is better than guessing.

Tags
power