Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Creating a 6 battery bank (how do I connect?)

I just bought a 99 Southwind which had two 12volt batteries in the house under the steps. I have 4 more batteries from my previous coach that I am able to hook up in the storage next to it to make 6 total. I am connecting a 1500 watt inverter to the entire battery bank.

How do I connect that many batteries? I cant seem to find anything for that many batteries and get confused. I assume its not just 6 batteries all connected positive to positives and same for negatives?

The setup is going to be as follows (left to right): Storage bin1: inverter- Under steps: 2 original house batteries (A1 & A2) we will call them- Storage bin2: Bank of 4 (B1, B2, B3, B4). The alternator & solar panel cables are currently attached to A2.

How do I connect all 6 batteries together and does it matter where in the series I attach the inverter, alternator, solar cables? What about when I top them up with my portable battery charger..which one in the series should I attach that to?

Hope I wasnt too confusing describing this. I just will need muchos muchos power for a big roadtrip (tv's etc). I have hooked up an inverter before and am aware re; fuse etc. I only had one battery before and am lost with 6.

Signed, Jason "big bank theory" Cage

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Badboy, try this link for help to your question.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

Awesome, thanks very much Sammy,

It looks like maybe I am alright with all the positives attached end to end and same with the negatives whewww. Just to be sure I am thinkin I will pick the brain of the Auto Battery store when I pick up my fuse. Although they do seem somewhat lost when it comes to MH's

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

As long as they are all 12 volt the positive go to positive and negative to ground.If 6 volt it gets a little more complicated but not rocket science.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I just bought a 99 Southwind which had two 12volt batteries in the house under the steps. I have 4 more batteries from my previous coach that I am able to hook up in the storage next to it to make 6 total. I am connecting a 1500 watt inverter to the entire battery bank.

How do I connect that many batteries? I cant seem to find anything for that many batteries and get confused. I assume its not just 6 batteries all connected positive to positives and same for negatives?

The setup is going to be as follows (left to right): Storage bin1: inverter- Under steps: 2 original house batteries (A1 & A2) we will call them- Storage bin2: Bank of 4 (B1, B2, B3, B4). The alternator & solar panel cables are currently attached to A2.

How do I connect all 6 batteries together and does it matter where in the series I attach the inverter, alternator, solar cables? What about when I top them up with my portable battery charger..which one in the series should I attach that to?

Hope I wasnt too confusing describing this. I just will need muchos muchos power for a big roadtrip (tv's etc). I have hooked up an inverter before and am aware re; fuse etc. I only had one battery before and am lost with 6.

Signed, Jason "big bank theory" Cage
it does matter how you connect the wires.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #6

Wow, thanks very much. I'd definitely say I have method 1 going on. I have a contact that can get me some cable so I will go with method 3 of attach all positives to one main positive lead and same with negative then bring those to the installation. I'd assume I can attach my inverter, solar cables and alternator to that same main wire lead?

Only problem I see with this for my install is that there would be about an extra foot of cable when connecting Bank A to Bank B as its in the next storage compartment over. hmmmm

Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I certainly wouldn't connect them ALL to the inverter. The two 12 volts should be saved for starting.........
Just listening to the "sound" of this conversation, I would seriously suggest you find an auto electrician for some help. An electrical fire is a bad thing!!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you should attach your inverter to the main positive lead.

Presumably you have a chassis (engine) battery somewhere else. If so, Miller's caution about starting need not be heeded.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Wow, thanks very much. I'd definitely say I have method 1 going on. I have a contact that can get me some cable so I will go with method 3 of attach all positives to one main positive lead and same with negative then bring those to the installation. I'd assume I can attach my inverter, solar cables and alternator to that same main wire lead?

Only problem I see with this for my install is that there would be about an extra foot of cable when connecting Bank A to Bank B as its in the next storage compartment over. hmmmm

Thanks again!
you are welcome.
i may not completely understand your post, but from what i hear you saying method 2 is probably the most cost effective for you as you cannot make all your leads the same length for a method 3 installation. is this correct?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
paz

I would not recommend mixing batteries of different type, voltage or age. Even if you get everything wired up properly (series for each pair of the 6V and then each of those pairs in parallel for the 12V batteries), the batteries will not be matched. If they are not matched, the weakest battery (or group of batteries) will drag down all the others. If one battery is not charging as fast as the others, that weak one will cause all the others to overcharge.

Furthermore, all flooded-cell lead-acid batteries give off hydrogen, which is highly flammable, and therefore must only be mounted in a ventilated location. If you put batteries into a storage compartment, make sure the compartment is not connected in any way with the living space and that it is vented. Make sure there is no ignition source such as electrical devices in that compartment.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote