Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #1

My fresh water tank has only a drain in the bottom. So, getting any cleaning solution into the tank is problematic requiring me to use the water pump and siphon a solution to the tank. There is no fresh water inlet leading directly to the tank.
I remember reading about cutting a hole in the tank and installing a threaded cap to allow access. My problem is, I do not remember enough details to do this to my fresh water tank.
Has anyone out there done this or know where I can go to re-read the article about needed parts and steps in the process.
Thanks for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #2

My fresh water tank has only a drain in the bottom. So, getting any cleaning solution into the tank is problematic requiring me to use the water pump and siphon a solution to the tank. There is no fresh water inlet leading directly to the tank.
I remember reading about cutting a hole in the tank and installing a threaded cap to allow access. My problem is, I do not remember enough details to do this to my fresh water tank.
Has anyone out there done this or know where I can go to re-read the article about needed parts and steps in the process.
Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dick, you can remove two screws that hold the clamps for over flow tube for water tank than remove rubber duck bill and if 1 1/4" tube if not long enough extend with a piece and fill tank from there with cleaning solution.
Would not have to drill tank and its alot easier to use exsisting overflow tube.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
paz

Check the Aqua Saver at RVUpgrades at THIS LINK. Aqua Saver is a little expensive, but looks like it would be leak-free. The Aqua Saver provides a hole large enough to allow you to reach into the tank.

Hope this helps.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTYSTR:
Thanks for the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame on the company that did this to you. Every fresh water tanks needs sanitizing at least yearly.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another way you can put in solution is thru your water filter, just remove the filter place in solution turn diverter valve to fresh water tank than turn on water. Put in measured amount and observe tank as it fills.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTYSTR:
Thanks for the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manual from EverPure reccomends that you fill you water hose with the required amount of bleach to santitize your tank and then connect it to a water source being careful not to spill the bleach. Then just fill your tank as normal. You really don't have to modify or take anything apart to sanitize the fresh water tank. Just put the bleach in the city water hose before you make the final connection to the campground or home spigot.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #8

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Have decided to go with the suggestion from PAZ. Ordered the Aqua Guard. Not only will it allow me to clean inside, but will also allow quicker filling using a hose instead of my water pump. Placing it near the top on the side because of limited installation access to the top of the tank. My fresh water tank is accessed from a side compartment. so will be easy to install and use. I also ordered the hole saw (free if returned within 30 days). Will install in the next week or so as long as the weather does not go really bad on me.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I cannot believe that you do not have a hose fill location for your fresh water. Every MH I have ever seen in close to 30 years has a location where a hose can fill the tank, sometimes using a adapter with a long flexible tube.

The method described utilizing the bleach in the hose has also worked for the same amount of time.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found a family motor coaching magazine in Cottonwood Az. with what you all might be looking for. It's in the July 2006 page 68. It's called an Aqua Saver. Web site www.aquasaverbypjbcompany.com Hope that helps
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #11

I agree with DSouthw524. I re-read the posts above several times and could not understand why you could not just put the cleaning solution in where you normally fill the tank with a hose. I don't think I can fill my tank using the city water connection.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think your going to alot of work for nothing all 3 Newmars I have had has a valve switch to divert the water from street side to fresh water tank side in your water bay where your water hose connects. Useing bleach in water hose cleans both your hose and the water tank and plumbing thru out your MH.
Once you open up the tank just leaves a possible trouble point in the future.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Tom, we've had campers in 1 form or another for more than 20 years and most we've ever done to take care of water system is use a bleach mixture. Even with an opening added to the water tank I would think there will still be areas you won't be able to reach. And I can't think of a good reason to try to reach them in the first place.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote