Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

Question Credit Cards and Gas Stations

I'm sure most of us regularly buy more than $100 in gas. I find that most, or all, stations in my area (California/Nevada/Arizona) have pumps that shut down after $75 or $100, so we have to complete one sale, put the card back in and run another $10-50 to get full. FWIW, I don't deal in cash - too easy to lose.

Last Sunday when I was gassing up to leave Vegas (wow, was it hot there) doing this set off the fraud detection at my bank (which has W & F in the name) and/or the station. Bank sent me text messages to confirm it was me making a legit purchase so they got unscrambled, but the station computers didn't want to any more to do with me, so I left with a short fill. Other unrelated experiences have led me to believe banks' fraud detection may be more easily triggered in Vegas, so I wasn't too surprised.

I was wondering what the rest of y'all do about this? Maybe stop more often, but that doesn't seem too desirable. Or is there some trick that I haven't thought about?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Let Wells Fargo know you are on a trip and that you will be using your card for large gas purchases and for a lot of other things. I think you can do this online. It is irritating that the pumps shut down and you have to restart them. But in the grand scheme of things not that big of a deal now that gas is less than $2.

BTW where'd you get an advance copy of a 2107 motorhome? :-)

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

Some chains have dedicated pre-pay cash cards. I have one and periodically refill the card by going inside. I've never had a case where my gas card shut down other than being down to a zero balance.
Also, it is my understanding that by using my credit card inside (to refill the gas card), I am less likely to have the card skimmed and counterfeited.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Yup let your Bank or CC lender know that you will be "out of their local" area, prior to taking the trip.. Also I had a "talk" with several of my "gas/diesel" credit card companies & raised the daily purchase limit.
(Some of the gas/diesel stations have a pre-set $$ or gallon limit per transaction, so You may have to "hit that limit" and then start over to top off the tank(s)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

2017 Motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
BTW where'd you get an advance copy of a 2107 motorhome? :-)
Bought the MH late last year (Coachmen Leprechaun) here in southern California - 2016 chassis, '17 coach. Your'e the second person to ask about that - it's July of '17 so it doesn't seem unusual to me. Am I missing something?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

We have found that going into the Counter and giving them the credit card can get the pump cutoff limit removed.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And, by going inside to 'pre-pay' you also avoid the $500.00 hold some franchises put on your credit card because their pumps think you have a big semi-truck size tank.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

I pay at pump and occasionally get a text on my phone asking if the second charge on the credit card is legit or not. I indicate it is and that is that.

BTW, here in Kentucky the year is only 2017. 2107 won't get here for another 90 years.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #9

I just switch to a 2nd card and some times a 3rd to fill up.

pointrow
Old 07-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We notify our card holder before we travel. specifically what states we'll be in and the nature of the charges.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
This works for me:
I call the credit card company to let them know we're on vacation & that I have a motorhome with a 75 gallon tank so I'll be making large gas purchases.

When pulling into the station, I've already calculated how much gas I'll need based on the gas gauge level & I note the pump number we've pulled next to. I go inside & pre-authorize that calculated amount. While DH is filling up, I browse the store & keep an eye on him. When I see him start to pull out of the pump area, I head back to the counter for a receipt.

This has turned out to be the least hassle for us.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another reason I use Costco as my first choice for fuel, their pumps shut off at $150. I rarely have to swipe a second time.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #13

As others said, let the CC know you'll be traveling and to which states. I have done that before, but totally forgot this time. We're on a trip, and DH was fueling two days ago. Charge was denied, and then I received a text message asking if the purchase was legit. I answered yes, and card was reactivated. As to multiple fuel purchases, it happens to us. We just deal with it. Not a big deal, really.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Most of time it will take the same credit card twice but if it doesn't I put a different one in and go about filling up. Don't have to call to talk with someone in India that doesn't speak English.

Tags
gas