Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
decon dehydrates mice slowly. hopefully they are gone b4 they die. if not, they are completely dried out. the dehydrated dead mice that i have found in my garage have no smell.
I agree!

However, I've been making "free D-Con meals" available to any mice that come to visit and I have never found a body in any of my RVs, (in 30+ years).

'96 Safari

mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
We live in a rural area. We have a lot of mice, especially when adjacent fields are plowed for fire brush control. They just about ate up an old truck I had.
Although not for everyone, here's what I came up with.
My MH is parked at the rear of our property which backs up to an open field. When I had my fifth wheel the mice seemed to think it was a hotel set up just for them. I tried almost everything short of keep my cat in the RV.

When I got the new MH I was determined to eliminate the unwanted guests. Although it was a bit of work to set up, here is what I did.

I built a chicken wire fence about 10" high all the way around the MH. The bottom of the fence is about a half inch above the ground. I used stakes in the ground with insulators to hold up the fence. I bought an electric fence energizer and hooked it to the chicken wire. Took a couple of hours to complete.

This works for me, no more unwanted visitors, plus it keeps my male dogs from marking the tires.

Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Florida we have critters that haven't even been named yet. Mice, Rats, Fruit rats, snakes, wild bore, pigs, raccoons, and did I mention ANTS. WE park at a RV storage place on dirt half gravel. pests are a problem. several years ago we started a muli layer approach to rid ourselves of bugs.
1. Moth balls, put them in some form of a shaker jar, put one jar in each basement bay. do not put them into inhabited parts of MH (possible health risk). (basically same as Snake Away sold at big box stores). Ranchers use to keep snakes and rodents out of horse stalls.
2. IRISH Spring, (original)cut bars into pieces and put into those soap bar holder containers and out one in each bay. also put one in every cabinet in MH. Put one in (or behind every drawer in MH. Added benefit nice fresh smell in MH.
3. Flea and tick collars, buy the large size. stretch to activate, cut in 1/2 and put one into each bay. we also put them in MH under drawers of behind the drawers.
On occasion when we've been traveling we encounter huge ant hills. we carry Roach and ant stuff to sprinkle if we can't move to uninfected site.
We've been camping for 10 years and have not had ANY critter problem since using this method. Annually put new collars into the bays. if moth balls or soap get used up add some more. Safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
Moth Balls also work to chase skunk families from under house crawl spaces!
James Macfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
iRV2 No Limits Club
While in storage, if you do not mind the odor of Moth Balls, they work.
Even around the outside on the ground. Mice, squirrels and snakes will stay away.
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
12 gauge and lay outside in your camos...Like Bill Murray in Caddyshack...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #35
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
What guarantees that the mouse will leave before it keels over? I've always been nervous of using poisons in case a critter dies in an inaccessible place.
I use poison. I buy the small blocks and place them around the inside of my barns. For sure in the RV barn. What I've found is that mice will look for water after eating this poison. I have no water in my barns so I very seldom see a dead mouse. They do eat the poison and leave. These blocks will not work if you have pets. My barns are all closed.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote