Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Angry Critters Attacking!

Rodents eating up my pocket book. I live in the North Phoenix area and just had my RV in due to leveling jack problem. It turns out that the sensor wires had been chewed up by rodents. Anyone go some suggestions on how to solve this problem?
gorgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the potential for this problem when parked for the winter in New Mexico. On the advice of locals, we laid a perimeter of rope lights around the rig. Seems that most rodents like packrats prefer darkness and will avoid lighted areas.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

We have that problem in our Membership Campground, we've bought Squirrel poison and tried sprinkling around our tires, coffee grounds on top of the tires. I not sure any if this really helped. I had a idea I was going to try but haven't yet and was to buy Habanero hot sauce and thin it down and filter thru pantyhose and get on a creeper and spray underneath on everything. Granted if you did it at home and rains on the way it will wash it off. I was thinking of doing it at the campground.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
A friend recommended putting sticky mouse trap paper around the tires.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think the rodents in Arizona are especially damaging. They destroyed a $8000 spa in my back yard. Chewed through the PCV conduit and insulation on the wires to get into it then chewed up most of the wiring and plastic plumbing inside.
I am continually at war with them here and since I got an electronic rat trap I am winning...
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Moth balls under the motor home worked for me a few years ago. Also, Tom Cat sticky traps placed strategically near where they enter the coach will trap them.

I keep sticky traps/pads in my storage bays. I'd rather catch them there than have them get into the coach and start chewing on stuff.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fresh Cab. I use this and as long as I replace every month or so it has worked. I put one on the gen, one under each slide, one in the battery compartment and one in the wet bay. No mice since.
Mouse Free is another that I have seen but I have not used it. May try this on my stick built.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #8

Squirrels ate wires in two under my 5er. I keep a couple of small "dishes" of mothballs in there now. Haven't had any problems for 2 years now.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #9

I duct tapped Bounce dryer sheets to inside of my wheel wells and tire covers when they are on. I found a HUGE mice nest between the floor of the coach and the roof of the storage compartment while doing some plumbing. It must have been 2' x 2' and maybe 8" tall. Must have been there since previous owner. Found mouse poison in it that I didn't use. I put dryer sheets everywhere that I can replace easily. So far, so good.
average one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

We had a stray cat move in and no more critters bothering vehicles.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #11

My daughter (a zoologist) told me that all mice are allergic to peppermint she said to spray peppermint oil anywhere you think they can get in and they will stay away for sure. I was thinking if sprayed all over the tires if they would not even climb up?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Correct info on peppermint and it works. I switched to this stuff 2 years ago, it's easier to use and works great. I keep it sprinkled around the tires or create a perimeter with it. You can put in the bays too in old socks or nylons and it lasts longer that way.

http://www.outsidepride.com/repellen...cat-urine.html
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i use irish spring bar soap. i cut each bar into 3 pieces for better coverage. i shave a new surface on the soap pieces every couple of months. this repels spiders as well as mice.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
My daughter (a zoologist) told me that all mice are allergic to peppermint she said to spray peppermint oil anywhere you think they can get in and they will stay away for sure. I was thinking if sprayed all over the tires if they would not even climb up?
Will the peppermint draw ants?
gio8856 is offline   Reply With Quote