Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Cruise Control

My cruise control will engage when the cruise is turned on. That is before trying to set cruise at speed wanted. It then continues to accelerate! I can brake and stop the cruise from accelerating but when I release the brake it again continues to accelerate! Would this be a faulty "Set Switch"?
KentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Many possibilities.

Need to know what it is, make, model year etc
Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You have a 93 Monaco Dynasty correct? Then it is probably a Bendix Cruise Control. We have 93 Monaco Signature Series Crown Royale and that is our cruise control. I doubt that Monaco would have used a different cruise control.
That being said I am not sure what your problem is but I do know that Bendix is no longer doing that cruise control nor making parts for it. You could try to find parts thru some RV salvage yards or just replace it. http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/ is the place that would have gone to to get ours replaced but we happened to find our part. Not many parts for Bendix out there thou.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #4

Tony.

It is a 1993 Monaco Dynasty. The cruise is a Bendix.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Thom,

I know I can replace it, just seems like it should be a simple to solve problem.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

We have gillig chassis under our CC, the chassis manual has extensive troubleshooting guide for cruise (bendix pneumatic)

You should contact the chassis manufacturer to see if there is a service manual for the chassis, then confirm if there is support for the cruise.

Ours had air leak under coach behind rear tire, could hear after engine shut off, crawl under and there is some valves, control box, regulators and other stuff.

Soapy spray identified an unlabeled device determined to be a regulatior, one O ring later and good to go.

I will guess in your case a pinched wire.

In N the resume will bump the idle speed, does yours?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You could try looking at one of these salvage sites for possible replacement parts:
RV Salvage sites
http://www.rverscorner.com/
http://fivestarrvsalvage.com/
http://www.marxrv.com/rvsalvage.htm
http://www.glen-l.com/campers/suppliers.html
http://www.visoneautomart.com/
But as we found out 1 1/2 yrs ago Bendix is no longer making parts to replace on the cruise controls. Got that info straight from them :( Since we did not need the part ASAP we could spend a few days calling different RV salvage yards and one just happened to have the part we thought we might need. We got 2 for $100, a spare for just in case. If we could not have found that one person we would have to spend the $$$$ on a brand new cruise control.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Yes it will bump up the engine speed. Problem is it goes to the max rpm the engine will run!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

Do contact manifacturer for manuals!!!

TURN OFF ALL BATTERIES AND INPLUG SHORE POWER NOW then...

While waiting you can carefully lift the panel with switches and take photos before doing anything.

Now with ohmmeter you can check to see if there is a short.

The terminals on the switch should be obvious, and you should see changes when you operate the switches.

I do NOT suggest removing any wires while power is present until you have manual, it will direct how.

But without power you can measure the wires and maybe see indication of shorted switch or wiring.

You can remove the wires and troubkeshoot.

If the switch is a rocker switch and it is on a flat surface it may be liquid spilled inside and causing it to act as closed, it needs very little current flow so some crud will allow it to act like it is turned on.

So be very very careful and see what you can find as it looks like the control unit may be ok
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #10

Thanks Tony, I will give that a try when I get it out of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Do contact manifacturer for manuals!!!

TURN OFF ALL BATTERIES AND INPLUG SHORE POWER NOW then...

While waiting you can carefully lift the panel with switches and take photos before doing anything.

Now with ohmmeter you can check to see if there is a short.

The terminals on the switch should be obvious, and you should see changes when you operate the switches.

I do NOT suggest removing any wires while power is present until you have manual, it will direct how.

But without power you can measure the wires and maybe see indication of shorted switch or wiring.

You can remove the wires and troubkeshoot.

If the switch is a rocker switch and it is on a flat surface it may be liquid spilled inside and causing it to act as closed, it needs very little current flow so some crud will allow it to act like it is turned on.

So be very very careful and see what you can find as it looks like the control unit may be ok