Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Cruise Control Inop

I have a 2004 fleetwood Terra on the P32 chassis. At about 7 months old the cruise control stopped working and was repaired under warranty. Last month it would only come on every 10th try and after hitting a bump it would disconnect. 3 days ago it stopped working completely. I have tested the brake switch and control buttons with a ohnmeter and all seems ok. Even checked the brake lights. Any thoughts?.
rvmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Not familiar with your setup. But if your controls are mounted on the steering wheel, it may be a loose connection under the s/wheel pad. That is not uncommon. In any event, it sure sounds like a loose connections somewhere. You might also give American Coach/Fleetwood a call and discuss....they are very helpful. You can also do a forum search in the hope that someone else here has had this issue.

Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
I agree, it does indeed sound like a loose connection within the system. Call the manufacture as they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Martin
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Many workshops will run a quick diagnostic to read the mem codes.
If the problem has created a fault code it will point in the right direction.

I doubt it a loose connection, the system is set using a series of simple signals from the buttons if a connection from a button is lost, it should not cause the cruise to drop out when set.
It would simply mean that the button would not be ale to perform any other changes while the connection is lost .
There are two types of cruise control servos used to hold the throttle under tension when cruise is set.
1 vacuum
2 electric
It is possible that there is a vacuum leak on at or to the vac servo causing it to drop out.
Or a momentary loss of power to the elec servo ca case it to drop the throttle.

Firstly id do some basic checks around these areas, then id have the codes read .
Good luck
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Cruise control

I will check the vacum or electrical to find out which. Rusty, are the codes read from a standard code reader for the coach (have a OBD II reader ) or is it a reader just for the Cruise control. Will go out tomorrow and look.

Thanks for all the help
Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

HI If it does present codes you should be able to read them with your OBD II
Let me know how you get on.

Dont know if this helps but one thing I discovered on our RV is that if the engine RPM is allowed to get to high when climbing hills etc the cruise will disengage.
I discovered this when getting up near 4000 rpm in a lower gear pulling up long hills.
At first I thought it was the result of a large bump in the road, but later worked out the real reason.
Nothing like a 1700 mile trip to get to know your rig.
We have a ford chassis V10 gaser
Cheers
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmike View Post
I will check the vacum or electrical to find out which. Rusty, are the codes read from a standard code reader for the coach (have a OBD II reader ) or is it a reader just for the Cruise control. Will go out tomorrow and look.

Thanks for all the help
Mike
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #7

Plugged in the OBd II tester and got no zero codes. Will call Fleetwood/ tech support tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Well, called Fleetwood today and got the typical non helpful answer(call Workhorse). Called Workhorse and was told they no longer have tech support, call a local dealer. The dealer was helpful but very reluctant to give advice over the phone. Next MH will not be a Fleetwood. Thanks to all that helped.

Mike
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

Strangely, many, many cruise controls are the same system, across brands and across models. I recently replaced the "cruise control module" on my Ford chassis because the brake wouldn't release it. I think it cost $56.

Good luck.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #10

Well now I suppose if you have drawn a blank any good truck workshop should be able to sort it, but id check around about what there labour costs are.
They seem to vary a great deal
Let us know how you get on
Rusty
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rvmike,
i have a w20- 8.1 chassis. yours may be similar.
my moho uses a 2 part switch with a plunger that rides on the brake pedal actuator arm. when the end of the plunger wore a little, the cruise control stopped working but the brake light portion of the switch still worked.
i disconnected the electric connectors from the switch and cleaned it with contact cleaner. i adjusted the switch with an ohmmeter so that when the brake pedal was relaxed, the cruise control part of the switch had continuity and the brake light portion did not. it took about 1 1/2 turns of the threaded switch to accomplish this.
the switch is a pita to reach and adjust.
i suggest that you try building up the area where the brake light/ cruise switch plunger rides on the brake pedal actuator arm with layers of electrical or duct tape to see if it works before trying to adjust the switch. that is what i did.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #12

some experience I had with mineRV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Any technical cruise control experts out there?