Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Cruise Control Problems , Fleetwood

2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V.
Cruising at 60 mph and the cruise stops working. The indicator light on the dash is still on . I checked the four pin connector from the stalk . it is connected . As suggested by posters on this forum I checked the brake lights . The drivers side bottom bulb does not illuminate , the right side does light. The bulb is good. I checked the pressure switches for corrosion , the terminals look clean . Any suggestions ? I do not have a schematic.

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39V
2013 Jeep Sahara
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

I'm thinking that there are two problems , the brake light no-op could be the ground on that light housing.
Have you checked the turn signals on that side?
For the cruise cutting out, a few questions.
Does the problem occur every time you set the cruise at 60 and not at other speeds?
Is this a new problem on a coach you've had for a while, or a new to you coach ?
Can you set your cruise , with the exhaust brake turned on , or does the exhaust brake being on , over-ride setting the cruise ?
Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

cruise control problem, Fleetwood

Skip 426 Thank you for your reply. I sent this as a pm to you, but my records do not indicate that it was sent . So I will try again. Answers to your questions . Yes the turn signals work . Only the drivers side brake light does not work . The cruise stopped working while cruising at 60 on the Interstate. It will not lock in the speed . The cruise pilot indicator light works , it comes on when the cruise is turned on . We have owned this coach for about four years with no problems . Before failing , the cruise would work with the engine brake on . I have checked the condition of the brake switch contacts , they are clean .

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39 V
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #4

Walter , another recent post had the volt / ohm tests for the cruise stalk , to see if the buttons are functioning correctly. I'll track it down and link you too it.

If you have the cruise on and hold the resume button at idle in neutral , foot off the brake, will the engine go to fast idle? Could be the only the set button is malfunctioning.

EDIT: A second thought , I always have them . Is your coach equipped with a smart wheel ? Or is the cruise switch on the turn signal stalk or the arm rest.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

Light on usually indicate speed set and servo on.

Try these things.

Drive unit and hit cruise and see if dash light comes on.

Now hit brake and see if light goes out.

If these pass the issue is NOT in the switches or controls.

The servo is not activating throttle.

Open up engine compartment and locate servo and connection to throttle.

Sounds like cable came off or connection there.

If yours can perform high idle via cruise control then a helper can operate control while you observe operations.

It may be possible to test that part with engine not running but key in ign position.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Tony; diesel engines with electronic controls, and most modern gassers , don't use a servo, or in the case of diesels even have a throttle lever. Cruise is a function of the diesel engine ECM, controlled by fuel supply.

Walter ; you may find some useful info here .

Diagnose Cruise Control

EDIT: I don't know if this is one of the treads you've read already but if you haven't there may be some help. You may have to contact the one member or Freightliner if that's your chassis for the test info he mentioned in his post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/cruis...ol-249867.html
Old 06-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Ours us diesel and does have a servo.

But ours is stupid...no electronics.

Pneumatic throttle and shifter.

Tags
cruise control, fleetwood