Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

cummins engine swap

what does it take to swap a 5.9 cummins it the place of a 8.2 detriot in a 90 foretravel rear engine motorhome
cadiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

Your question is not a simple one to answer. Not sure anyone has ever done that mod. You would need a new mounting system that made sure the engine sits at the same angle as the Detroit. Among many other things plus a different control system. Your better off rebuilding the detroit than trying something like that.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Commercial Member

I am sure that it can be done and probably has been, but my experience tells me that you would be better off and money a head to sell it and get another motor home with the engine you want already in it. I am not sure on the smaller diesel engines but is the Detroit a straight six or is it a V8. I think that the Cummins is by far the better motor of the two, but I have also heard that some of the small Detroit's get pretty good fuel economy.
RangeCampMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

i have a chance to buy a 90 grand villa cheep that has a bolwn up 8.2 and alison trans in the rear. i have found a 5.9 cummins and a allison trans out of a 96 front engine motor home for $2000 think i could put it togather all for under $5000 would it be worth trying
cadiracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
put a 3208 in it, it will fit better
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

Commercial Member

3208 isn't that one of Cats small V8
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeCampMan View Post
3208 isn't that one of Cats small V8
Yes

Good motor albeit old tech.

Also was an option , I believe in that Motor home so should fit without too many headaches IMHO

A good used one should be reasonable
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #8

Commercial Member

In a prior life I was a truck driver so I am familiar with the larger diesel engines mostly the Cummins n14, m11 and L10s. I guess the only concern about the Cat is parts availability and price, now that Cat has decided to get out of the truck motors.