Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #1

Good Mornign, Can anyone tell me if you can chip a Cummins ISC motor for more horse power?
Regards
David
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #2

Good Mornign, Can anyone tell me if you can chip a Cummins ISC motor for more horse power?
Regards
David
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
David,
It depends on the year. Go here for Banks and go here for Brazel's web site.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #4

Sorry, It is a 2008 Damon Motorhome.
David
Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #5

Dave The cummins shop I got to safety and e test my rig before purchase and who I will be using for all future work told me he 'could' chip it to 350HP. But he did not think I would gain much, if any, in noticeable performance or fuel economy.
He advised to stay with the 330hp.
Rick
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #6

My 2008 Tiffin Phaeton has a Cummins ISC in it but it is already a 360hp-1050 ft/lbs torque unit. I dont tow a car but do pull a tandem axle trailer and cant imagine needing more power. And I am a land speed motorcycle racer that goes 200mph on two wheels in my spare time. So its not like I am poking down the highway at 65mph.

Thus far I have been really impressed with the power on my ISC.

Don
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Rotts, what ya runnin on the salt? Class, equipment ? I'm gonna try to make it this yr, it has been one of my dreams, I love speed and HP. in any form.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
David, since you have a new engine and it is under warranty I would highly recommend if you want more power to bite the bullet and have a Cummins authorized service center reprogram the engine to more power. There should be no parts needed; only computer reprogramming needed. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #9

According to the Cummins website, if your ISC engine is a 2007, it can be rated for 330hp or 360hp from the factory. The factory will not chip higher than the highest rating.

So, if you have a 330hp rated engine, then it's possible to be uprated to 360hp. But it may not be as simple as a software upgrade. It may involve fuel injector changes or fuel pump changes. Or all three. Cummins can advise you on that.

If you have a 360hp rated engine, then you'll need to contact an aftermarket company for uprate assistance. Cummins will not uprate beyond their warrantable specification.

I would point out that your engine comes with a 5 year warranty. Since your coach is new, I wouldn't take the chance of losing a warranty battle with Cummins or Allison if there is a problem with an engine or transmission component in an engine that has been chipped or uprated beyond the production limits. Some will argue that it's not an issue. But for me, I don't want any confusion around who's paying for what if my engine/transmission has a problem. IMHO.

From my own personal experience, I can tell you that you don't want to pay for major engine repairs on a diesel if you don't have to. Big $$$$$.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #10

I want to thank everyone who has answered my questions.
The engine is 360 HP and should be plenty so we will see.
David
Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Well said Jim, I couldn't agree more. I was disapointed in a recent article in a MH magazine that raved about the benefits of putting a Banks system on your MH. However, there was no mention of voiding your warranty if something breaks, like an injection pump on one of the common rail fuel systems. After about 3k for the part, plus install you will know what is at risk. Great advice Jim.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote