Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone out there installed the new EC-30W wireless genset autostart? I saw some old posts from May 08 that it was not out yet, but I see it listed in the November 2008 Family Motor Coaching Magazine.

Sounds like a great solution to parking early in the morning when it's cool and then letting it start the genset when the a/c is needed as the day heats up.

I'm curious if it shuts off automatically once the a/c cools things down. Since it's wireless I wonder if there is any provision for letting the genset warm up before the a/c load hits it.

Any comments from a user are appreciated.

Thanks-

deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, I don't have any experiences with the wireless EC-30 yet. The transfer switch does however have a time delay built in so the generator does have a chance to warm up before loads are applied.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by deputydog:
Has anyone out there installed the new EC-30W wireless genset autostart? I saw some old posts from May 08 that it was not out yet, but I see it listed in the November 2008 Family Motor Coaching Magazine.

Sounds like a great solution to parking early in the morning when it's cool and then letting it start the genset when the a/c is needed as the day heats up.

I'm curious if it shuts off automatically once the a/c cools things down. Since it's wireless I wonder if there is any provision for letting the genset warm up before the a/c load hits it.

Any comments from a user are appreciated.

Thanks-
The time delay is already built in if you have an automatic transfer switch. If that is how it works now when you manually start your generator then it should continue to work that way.

The online info indicates that it maintains similar features to the hardwired EC-30 which not only shuts off the generator after the thermostat is satified but has a cool down cycle that lets the generator run a few minutes before doing so.

You may be able to save about $300 with the hardwired EC-30 if you are up to hooking up the wires yourself which involves about 4 to 6 hours of work. I installed mine myself and it was not to bad in the Winnebago due to the OnePlace design that puts all the controls/wires for heating, cooling, generator, hot water, solar and tank/battery monitoring all in one central location so I did not have to run wires all over the rig.

The only problem to speak that I have had with the hardwired EC-30 is that the dog occasionly bumps one of the low mounted generator kill switches and puts the system back to manual operation.

It has saved a lot of gas as we no longer have to leave the generator on all the time for the dog and cat when we leave the coach while dry camping. The gas savings alone paid for the Energy Command unit the first season of use not to mention fewer hours and oil changes on the generator.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #4

I installed one in our Suncruiser a few weeks ago. First test was at the Martinsville NASCAR raceand it worked GREAT. I got 2 thumbs up from the wife!!!!

Installing it in a Winnebago was easy since all but 2 connections were present in the "OnePlace Panel". The only connections outside of the panel was running a line to the ignition for the safety switch and to a 110 outlet for the shore power switch.

One problem I am having is with the auto-start from the AC. I connected everything up like the instructions andthe EC30 tread on this site said, but the AC start part of the diagnostics failes and when I call for AC, the fan starts but not the compressor. Still trying to work that out, so if anyone has the solution, please pass it on.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #5

I want one! Where can I buy it?

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Outbumn:
I installed one in our Suncruiser a few weeks ago. First test was at the Martinsville NASCAR raceand it worked GREAT. I got 2 thumbs up from the wife!!!!

Installing it in a Winnebago was easy since all but 2 connections were present in the "OnePlace Panel". The only connections outside of the panel was running a line to the ignition for the safety switch and to a 110 outlet for the shore power switch.

One problem I am having is with the auto-start from the AC. I connected everything up like the instructions andthe EC30 tread on this site said, but the AC start part of the diagnostics failes and when I call for AC, the fan starts but not the compressor. Still trying to work that out, so if anyone has the solution, please pass it on.
Ron,

Did you install a conventional hardwired EC-30 or the new wireless EC-30W? The new one (EC-30W) costs over $400 and plugs into an adapter harness connected directly to the generator with nothing required at the OnePlace panel.

There is one part of the instruction that calls for two wires to be jumpered at the thermostat, you may have missed that or got the wrong two wires.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #7

Neil,
I got the conventional EC-30. Did not jumper any wires, so that could be the problem. Can you tell me which wires to jumper?

As for where to buy it, I got it at the local Cummins Onan dealer. The unit was $200 and the 15" pigtail was $25.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i talked to the Onan distributor In Indiana last week, they should have the new wireless model in stock by mid december. $495 plus $50 for the hareness. They told me any dummy can do it in less than 30 minutes, so I qualify.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I picked up the 30W at the Tampa Supershow last weekend.

The install is to attach the generator module, unplug the remote starter harness at the generator, install a "Y" adapter cable, plug the remote starter back into the "Y" adapter along with the new module, attach the purple wire to the B+ terminal inside the generator cover, put the battery in the remote unit and some simple programming. Less than an hour total and so far it works great.

My only complaint is that the ONAN website is WAY behind. The unit does a bunch of things that the website says it doesn't (nearly all the features of the hardwired units.)
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the EC30-W a few weeks ago and have a recurrent loss of communications issue which has on a couple occasions apparently cancelled the auto set, resulting in no AC while out of the coach. Has anyone else experienced this loss of communications? I installed the generator portion of the EC30W in the bay in front of the generator as suggested in the install manual. The Hand held unit is mounted on the wall by the one place panel.
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yoda2405, welcome to iR2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Are you loosing communication be tween the module at generator to the generator or to the panel inside? Have you tried putting the inside panel closer? I am sure you will enjoy this website and forums. Good luck on this issue as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Communications between the inside module and the gen set module are what I assume are being lost. The inside readout says "reestablishing communications". It at times flashes this message repeatedly. If I resync the modules, the process outlined in the install manual, they appear to work better for a while, but then start this communications issus all over. The unit works well when this does not occur, but I have no confidence in it. Bought so we could use genset to keep the "kids" cool when we were away from the coach.
I have been reading posts on the forum since I purchased this coach in January, actually even before that, but this was my first post. Hoping someone else may have experienced this, the two units are probably not more than 10 feet apart as currently installed, so I would hope solid communications would be possible at that short distance.

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Have you tried replacing any batteries in the remote panel?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a diagnostic that check the battery for the inside module and it indicates the battery is good, I can try a disposable battery as it also accepts AA batteries. I have had one additional symptom, at times when it is saying "reestablishing communications" it seems to lock up as I cannot get it to respond to any key input. The only way I have been able to recover from this symptom is to remove the battery and then resync the modules and they then seem to work normally for some period of time.
I have contacted Onan and they seem to be at a loss and are to get back to me!

Thanks for your thoughts,