Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

Cummins Onan Generator wont start

I have a 2012 American Motor Coach Revolution with a Cummins Onan generator. The problem is that the gen won't crank and there is a Low Batt Voltage fault code. I have run the engine trying to charge it for about 15 min but still won't crank.
martynpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My gen starts from the house batteries you might want to check them. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a battery boost switch, which connects both the house and chassis batteries together, use it and it should provide enough voltage for the generator to start.

If not you could use jumper cables to connect both battery banks together.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #4

Martynpaula. Welcome to IRV2.
First you need to charge all your batteries. Running your engine for 15 minutes is not enough. I'm not familiar with your coach, but it should also charge your house batteries from the engine alternator. You should also have panel in the coach where you can check the voltage of both chassis and house batteries. If you have access to shore power, you should plug in and let your onboard charger charge your batteries. If you don't have shore power, you can start your engine, set it on high idle (1000 rpm) and leave it running. While the engine is running, check the voltage of your house batteries, it should be over 14 volts. Let the engine run for 30 minutes. While the engine is running try starting the generator. Hold the switch on start until the generator turns over. It sometimes take a minute before cranking over. The generator has glow plugs that warm the engine before attempting to start.
Once you get the generator started, you can turn your engine off. Then let your generator run for 3 to 4 hours to let your onboard charger charge the.batteries.
Try this and let us know how you make out.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Thank you Sir. Voltage was 14.1. Prior to starting engine and on previous attempts to crank the gen. It was 13.8. I ran the engine as you said and after holding the start button for about 30 seconds it fired right up. I may have not been holding the switch long enough on previous attempts. Although I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am new to this Motorcoach and its elaborate systems.... but I'm learning thanks to people like you.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by martynpaula View Post
Thank you Sir. Voltage was 14.1. Prior to starting engine and on previous attempts to crank the gen. It was 13.8. I ran the engine as you said and after holding the start button for about 30 seconds it fired right up. I may have not been holding the switch long enough on previous attempts. Although I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am new to this Motorcoach and its elaborate systems.... but I'm learning thanks to people like you.
Take some time tonight and read the owners manual on the products in your MH.

The Generator pulls fuel from the main tank. IF the tank is below 1/3 or 1/4 reserve you may find it won't run once below these levels. That is so you don't run your tank dry and are then unable to start you MH engine. It happen to me when I first started in this RV stuff too. Couldn't figure out why my Generator stopped. Felt pretty embarrassed after that event.

Sometimes I must hold my switch for about 1-2 minutes depending on how cold and how long it was since the last start.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #7

Thanks again. All this information helps and saves lots of time and money. I spent several hours researching and checking things on this problem and there may not have been a problem at all.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynpaula View Post
Thanks again. All this information helps and saves lots of time and money. I spent several hours researching and checking things on this problem and there may not have been a problem at all.
That is a good outcome. Keep in mind everyone had/has a beginning point, at everything they do/did. No-one starts out an expert.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Your Gen starts on the house batteries. Using the emergency start switch you are using both house and chassis batteries for the start. Depending on how the house batteries have been treated by you and the dealer you may either need maintenance on the house battery terminals or new house batteries Or you may just need to keep the house batteries charged. If you are plugged in this should be automatic, if not you should run the Gen 4 hours to get the batteries to near full charge and then keep them above 50% charge at all times otherwise you will have short battery life.

LEN

Tags
cummins, generator, onan