Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
About a year ago I thought I would put some vent covers on. I looked at the a couple different brands, styles and decided on Maxx Air. I stopped at CW on the way to club RV rally to see what they wanted for them. Need less to say I didn't buy them from CW. I asked my dealers parts guy (located where were camping) and he got them for me for $60 a piece. After I got home I started to install them but decided that white and a full body paint job just didn't cut it. I checked around to see what it would cost to paint them and was some what shocked at the estimates. They ranged from about $300 to over $500. This project just went on hold.

So now about a year or so later I finally got around to installing the Maxx Air vent covers. Why did it take so long? I decided to paint them myself to match the coach. Considering that I have not done any spray painting for a number of years (like 15 or so) and the fact that the paint was about $35 a pint (that equates to about $200 a gal) I procrastinated for over a year. But, I got the paint, reducer, sand paper, a new spray gun (el cheapo from Harbor Freight) and got busy. Is the paint job as good as the body shop version? No, but then the price was right. Body shop version estimate was $300 to $500 and my cost was about $150.

So, if I score it like and inning of a baseball game - a few RUNS, a few DRIPS and a Few ERRORS.

A complete set of photos are posted over in the photo section.

So want does it take to do the job?

Equipment:
1) Spray gun
2) Air compressor with hose, fittings, line filter

Supplies:
1) Primer/Sealer- 1 quart
Note - Must be compatible with PLASTIC. Try Krylon Fusion Plastic primer if you can't find anything else.
3) Paint - 1 quart (1pt paint + reducer = approx 1qt)
4) Clear Coat - 1 quart Same as #2)
5) Reducer - 1 gallon
6) Sand paper - wet/dry 220, 400, & 600 grit
7) Wax and grease remover
8) Tack rags

Process:
1) Remove decals and hardware
2) Sand with 220 grit paper, water and let dry 24 hrs.
3) Clean with wax/grease remover and wipe down with a tack rag.
4) Spray with primer and let dry 24 hrs.
5) Sand with 400 grit paper, water and let stand 24 hrs.
6) Wipe down with a tack rag and spray at least 3 or 4 coats of paint (more if necessary). Let each coat tack up for about at least 15 mins depending on the temperature and let dry for 24 hrs.
7) Sand with 600 grit paper, water and let dry for 24 hrs.
8) Wipe down with a tack rag and spray as many coats of clear as necessary (I put on 4). Let each coat tack up for about at least 15 mins depending on the temperature and let dry for 24 hrs.
9) Reinstall the hardware and mount on coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #2

About a year ago I thought I would put some vent covers on. I looked at the a couple different brands, styles and decided on Maxx Air. I stopped at CW on the way to club RV rally to see what they wanted for them. Need less to say I didn't buy them from CW. I asked my dealers parts guy (located where were camping) and he got them for me for $60 a piece. After I got home I started to install them but decided that white and a full body paint job just didn't cut it. I checked around to see what it would cost to paint them and was some what shocked at the estimates. They ranged from about $300 to over $500. This project just went on hold.

So now about a year or so later I finally got around to installing the Maxx Air vent covers. Why did it take so long? I decided to paint them myself to match the coach. Considering that I have not done any spray painting for a number of years (like 15 or so) and the fact that the paint was about $35 a pint (that equates to about $200 a gal) I procrastinated for over a year. But, I got the paint, reducer, sand paper, a new spray gun (el cheapo from Harbor Freight) and got busy. Is the paint job as good as the body shop version? No, but then the price was right. Body shop version estimate was $300 to $500 and my cost was about $150.

So, if I score it like and inning of a baseball game - a few RUNS, a few DRIPS and a Few ERRORS.

A complete set of photos are posted over in the photo section.

So want does it take to do the job?

Equipment:
1) Spray gun
2) Air compressor with hose, fittings, line filter

Supplies:
1) Primer/Sealer- 1 quart
Note - Must be compatible with PLASTIC. Try Krylon Fusion Plastic primer if you can't find anything else.
3) Paint - 1 quart (1pt paint + reducer = approx 1qt)
4) Clear Coat - 1 quart Same as #2)
5) Reducer - 1 gallon
6) Sand paper - wet/dry 220, 400, & 600 grit
7) Wax and grease remover
8) Tack rags

Process:
1) Remove decals and hardware
2) Sand with 220 grit paper, water and let dry 24 hrs.
3) Clean with wax/grease remover and wipe down with a tack rag.
4) Spray with primer and let dry 24 hrs.
5) Sand with 400 grit paper, water and let stand 24 hrs.
6) Wipe down with a tack rag and spray at least 3 or 4 coats of paint (more if necessary). Let each coat tack up for about at least 15 mins depending on the temperature and let dry for 24 hrs.
7) Sand with 600 grit paper, water and let dry for 24 hrs.
8) Wipe down with a tack rag and spray as many coats of clear as necessary (I put on 4). Let each coat tack up for about at least 15 mins depending on the temperature and let dry for 24 hrs.
9) Reinstall the hardware and mount on coach.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Interesting, but isn't your roof white?? Mine is.

I have 2 new MaxxAir covers still in the box. I decided not to put them on because they restrict the airflow somewhat. We also mostly use AC as there's lots of pollen in FL in the winter and spring.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Looks good Dale. From 12 feet below and 15 feet away I'm sure they look just as good as the 300-500 dollar paint jobs.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:29 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Looks good Dale. See you next week..

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #6

Tom N..

Yes the roof is white but the A/C covers, refer cover and the range hood vent cover are painted to match the coach. The white Maxx Air covers didn't look right.

As for the air flow... Yes they do restrict the air flow some as you can't open them all the way. But in the 2 years I have had the coach I don't think I have used the Fantastic fan more than a few times on auto. I use the bath room fan all the time after we shower to remove the warm moist air.

Also this way I can leave both vents open if I want to and not worry about rain, Yes, I know the FF has a rain sensor. Lastly, the FF will stop when it touches the vent cover when you open it on auto.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #7

I think it looks great! I'd never have thought of doing that, but what a difference!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I did the same to my 2004 Bus. Except I had to do it twice. The first time I took the new covers, lightly sanded them and sprayed primer on. Then followed up with DuPont ChromaBase 2 step paint with poly clear coat. I found out two things:

A) Black hoods and tinted vent lids make it pretty dark inside the coach.

B) You need to spray a special polyolefin prep on the plastic hoods to allow them to accept paint or else the paint will start to peal off real soon.

So, the second time around I used the prep and repainted and it stayed. I also ordered dual pane clear vent lids from FanTastick Vent to replace the tinted lids. Now I get more light into the coach.

On the next coach I'll do it right the first time.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 AM   #9

I thought about that and I used Krylon Fusion plastic primer before I did the standard primer/sealer. I will update the orginal post.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #10

I painted the roof side of my shower dome with Krylon plastic paint. I park my MH next to the house and the Florida sun puts a lot of heat into the MH through the dome. I tried using a foam plug a couple of years ago. The inside plastic bubble deformed from the heat buildup. Found a silver/grey color that comes fairly close to matching the paint on my airconditioner shrouds. Now I am thinking of painting the 3 white tank vent caps.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #11

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
You can get almost any paint matched and put into spray cans with adjustable nozzles at automotive paint suppliers. I did it and repainted my front bumper. The cost was a LOT cheaper than $150.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:45 AM   #12

Getting your paint into spray can is an alternative. The bigest problem I see with this is keeping a "wet edge" when spraying so you get an even coat that drys evenly. You will also probably have to spray a few more coats. You also will need to buy a few cans of clear to finish the job.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dale.....It looks great....I did the same thing. I bought a non-metalic paint that matched my coach fairly close and painted the sat dome too. That pint of paint, thinner and hardener cost a fortune, but worth it. Luckily I already had the little cheapy Harbor Freight sprayer. It's worked well on alot of jobs. I had to sand a couple of runs before I got it right :-)

It always cracks me up when someone shows a nice project, LIKE YOURS, and someone else states, "I have 2 new MaxxAir covers still in the box. I decided not to put them on because they restrict the airflow somewhat". Who cares and what does it have to do with you sharing your project.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote