Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Customer service is dead.

Vent of the day with one of the nations largest RV dealers. My wife called and talked to a sales rep last Tuesday to confirm that they had two particular units on the lot. A 2017 Winnebego Tour 42 QD and a 2016 American Coach Revolution 42G. She specifically told the rep we would be in Macon at the dealership at noon on Sunday and that we want to look at the coaches and drive both of them. She even called her when we left the house and said we will see you in 2 hours! One would think a GOOD salesperson that cared about making a sale would have walked out on the relatively small lot and had both coaches checked out and ready to go when we got there.
The Winnebego was not "on" and she didn't know how to turn it "on" with the battery disconnects. She didn't know how to crank the generator or operate the slides.
The American Coach was dead as a hammer, someone left the keys on and all the lights. The coach and house batteries were dead.
To shorten the long story, she finally got another sales rep to come help. A grumpy old man who was a beacon of positive energy. /sarcasm.
He got a tech to get the American Coach started. We drove them both. We like the American Coach much better overall and our resolve to never, ever buy anything from this dealer is greater than ever. We will travel out of state when the time comes to buy.
Bet you can't guess the dealer I'm talking about. LOL
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

In Byron, Ga? CW.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

Our experience with the same nationwide dealer in New Braunfels, Texas. Made appointment a week in advance. Called the day before to confirm. Called the day of to confirm. Showed up to an Ellipse that had dead batteries, a saleswoman who didn't know her product, there were feces in the toilet and the coach was hot as hades (it was summer).

A salesman with such a good lead should have been WAY more proactive in making the coach ready to show.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

We now go to Crestview in Buda and low and behold she had moved from CW to Crestview. She recognized us and probably doesn't remember her terrible sales effort from earlier because she actually expected us to do business with her there.

No chance.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anything to get you in the door!
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've read tons of dealer horror stories. Seems like they're all over the forum. While I don't doubt their authenticity - I do find myself marveling at how different these experiences were from that which I experienced when we purchased our coach - and wondering just how prevalent experiences like these are as (i.e., as a percent of total customer/dealer interactions) in the marketplace.

We purchased our coach used from a dealership a hair more than a year ago now. From the initial trip to see the coach ... thru our taking delivery of the vehicle ... and now two service visits - our experience with our dealer has been exact opposite. They've honored our appointments at the time we've scheduled them, they've responded to all our telephone calls and emails in a timely manner, when they've said they've have something done by XX o'clock xx/xx/xx - it's been done. Our sales guy was knowledgeable .. and to the best of my knowledge has never tried to BS his way thru anything. I've heard "I don't know the answer to that question - but I'll certainly find out!" on several occasions - and have always been a little surprised when they've gotten back to me with the answer I was looking for in a timely manner. They always been up front in terms of saying what they were going to do - and then doing exactly what they said.

Even now I get the occasional email message from our salesman with information about "user groups" in our area, new campgrounds and RV resorts opening in our state, etc. If we ever hit the lottery and decide to upgrade - I'd be another coach from our dealership without a moment's hesitation!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please share the name of the dealership so other can avoid them. Also, do e mail them a link to this forum and thread.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

dealer

Norman, we had the same kind of experience you had with our dealer,

recommend all day every day.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Man, its not just RV dealers. We pretty much had the same experience trying to buy a house. Called, made arrangements to look at houses and when we showed up they didn't know us from Adam. We walked out and found another realtor.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Please share the name of the dealership so other can avoid them. Also, do e mail them a link to this forum and thread.
69Stang nailed it. Camping Worlld of Macon. Nationwide reviews of CW pretty much follow the situation I described.
Attitude reflects leadership. I doubt the CEO cares.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
69Stang nailed it. Camping Worlld of Macon. Nationwide reviews of CW pretty much follow the situation I described.
Attitude reflects leadership. I doubt the CEO cares.

It's amazing the poor service that you get at most CWs. A few are okay.
I think it's rather ironic that Marcus Lemonis (CWs CEO) has a show on CNBC called The Profit, in which he goes to small businesses and helps to turn their sales around. Yet his company has such a poor reputation.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

Poor reputation and making money. Just tells you how good the rv business is right now. Last year went into a CW to look at a new mh and they wouldnt let us look alone. Went down the street and General said enjoy looking and let us know when you want someone to help. Bought from them that day.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
Norman, we had the same kind of experience you had with our dealer,

recommend all day every day.

Jim
I'll be sure and go to them....wherever they are.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #14

My wife suffers from Minears Disease, which is affliction of the inner ear. It can cause vertigo and dizziness when she's in uncomfortable situations. When we were initially considering the purchase of a motor home, she wasn't sure if she would be able to ride in it without problems.

I called a nearby CW and explained this situation. I asked if we could visit their store and simply take a short ride in a motor home with a salesman, just to see if she could handle it. They said no...we don't do that.

About 3 miles south of this CW is a General RV store. I called them and went through the same explanation with them. When I asked for the ride, they said sure! Come on over! Linda and I went to the store, took the ride and she loved it! No vertigo at all!

We ultimately purchased our Mandalay from a private owner, but General RV gets all my service work. I have not been back to that CW store.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service