Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Cutting out

I have a 2004 pace arrow, which I love, however the last couple of trips it has shut down after about 100 miles, start back up in about 5 minutes and run good. After we would generally park. Start back home, same thing would occur. Need some help on diagnosing the problem. I have changed fuel filter and air filter. Same problem occurred on next trip. Help needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The more information you provide, the better we can help you. What engine? diesel or gas?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3y41 View Post
I have a 2004 pace arrow, which I love, however the last couple of trips it has shut down after about 100 miles, start back up in about 5 minutes and run good. After we would generally park. Start back home, same thing would occur. Need some help on diagnosing the problem. I have changed fuel filter and air filter. Same problem occurred on next trip. Help needed.
it is a 454 gas.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
it is a 454 gas.
That would make it a GM, I guess.

Cutting out could be gas or ignition related. You mentioned changing a fuel and air filter, but are you sure it only has one fuel filter? You might also have 2 fuel pumps, one could be failing. Use a 'T' fitting and put a fuel pressure gauge in the line to see if that's the issue. Also check the fuel lines to see if any show signs of heat or melting from being close to the exhaust. I think you have a return hose on the fuel line back to the tank to keep gas cool. Stalling and starting could be vapor lock from heated fuel.

Ignition issue could be caused by a coil failing under heat. I don't know your engine and whether it has one coil or multiples.

If you use the Google search box on the top right of the page to search for 'GM 454 stalling' you might find more information to help you.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
How about a gas cap, after a 100 miles 12-15 gallons causing a fuel flow problem because of a vacuum.

LEN
Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
How about a gas cap, after a 100 miles 12-15 gallons causing a fuel flow problem because of a vacuum.

LEN
Thanks Len,going to check on a new cap !!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks Len,going to check on a new cap !!
Before replacing the cap, when the engine cuts out, immediately loosen the cap. If a giant inrush of air happens, then the gas vapor collection system is faulty. A new cap might not fix that.

A bit more information might help. When it 'cuts out', is it a sudden shut down of the engine or a reduction in power until it stalls? Any signs or symptoms of the up coming 'cut out?'

Bob & Donna
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Before replacing the cap, when the engine cuts out, immediately loosen the cap. If a giant inrush of air happens, then the gas vapor collection system is faulty. A new cap might not fix that.

A bit more information might help. When it 'cuts out', is it a sudden shut down of the engine or a reduction in power until it stalls? Any signs or symptoms of the up coming 'cut out?'
It is a reduction in power till it stalls no symptoms at all just going down the road and it starts to stall. Get it off the road cut off check things out and after a few min. It will start back up and runs fine. Thanks, for your help !!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
O.K., it doesn't sound like an electrical (spark) issue. I don't like suggesting to buy new parts and replacing them, I'd rather test and determine the problem instead of just installing new components.

I'd next look at fuel flow. It could be a failing fuel pump, but before just replacing it, I'd do as I said and monitor fuel pressure.

Bob & Donna