Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Danger - Hot skin on gen.

Granted this is not likely to occur for most. Son and I were doing a lot of post summer trip maintenance and in process of testing gen I unplugged shore cord at power post and laid plug on WET grass and still attached at RV. We ran gen under load and while it was running he touched a metal part and was shocked. Got meter out and sure enough 60 volts between wet ground and chassis. Turns out the male plug connectors were providing connection to wet ground. When I find time I will look into gen wiring and see if it is fixable.

Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Danger - Hot skin on gen.

Your son is very lucky. Glad he wasn't hurt. You may have a problem with your Transfer switch. I could be wrong but I think that if your receiving power from one side you should not be able to back feed the other.
I'm also wondering what would have happened if you were still plugged into the post when you flashed up the Genny.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, IS IT FIXABLE: likely no but cutting the green/bare lead (Safety ground) on the generator, if said lead exists, might fix it.

Second and more important: IS IT DANGEROUS: likely not. You see, it is not voltage that kills, it is current, and though you present rougly 1,000 ohms of resistance to an electrical charge, and thus with 60 volts a maximum of 60ma will flow, which is more than enough to kill you. There is "Source impedance" to consider. And that can be quite high in this case.

Where did this 60 volts come from? (Now that is an even better question) Answer:
A voltage divider consisting of two capacitors made up from 3 pices of wire (one commen to both capacitors) sperated by insulation.. or in short, several hundred feed of ROMEX cable.

Your electrical diagram is thus

Neutral---||--Ground--||---Hot 120vac

Ground in this case is "Chassis" ground, not earth ground.

The ground pin on the power cord was 60 volts due to the action of the wires acting as a voltage divider the skin on the generator was in fact at zero.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote