Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #1

I have had motorhome in the shop 3 times and still dash air blows just a little cool. Had compressor and expansion valve changed. Air seems cool till engine warms up. Any suggestions?
JB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #2

I have had motorhome in the shop 3 times and still dash air blows just a little cool. Had compressor and expansion valve changed. Air seems cool till engine warms up. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #3

Not sure what system you have.May need more info but on my old Winnie 86 the heater valve was bad letting hot water in the heater circuit when in the AC mode.The AC can not overcome the heater,See if the air is cold first thing in the morning if so let it run till motor gets hot a see if the AC starts to get warmer.This is common problem on older units,also you may be a bit low on freon Good Luck Mike
school man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #4

Its a 2004 dolphin and the air does get warmer as engine warms. The shop says the heater control valve is working as are the vent doors.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #5

JB55 Its easy to check heater valve .Just start her up in the AM and keep feeling both sides of the valve.One side will get hot and other will stay cool.May get some heat on the hose just from the heat of the engine bay.Sometimes if there is water in the system it will work till it freezes up at the expansion valve.Did the system work good up till now????Does the fan seem to be running up to speed,also look any intake blockage? Mike
school man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sure sounds to me like th eheater control valve and this is a common problem on motorhomes. The dash a/c systems they use have cheap components and the valaves are regular sources of failure. Had myown replaced about 4 months ago and know we hear from many others with the same problem.

Was 'the shop" that says it's OK an a/c shop or an RV dealer?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
JB55 and school man welcome to IRV2
You both have answered the problem for your poor air condition. That valve has been replaced by many people some have received a new one from Evans and some have just replaced with a plumbing ball valve to not allow hot water to interfer with your air in the summer just remember to open in the winter if you use coach.
Enjoy the forums and post often.

When you both have the time would you post in your "signature profile block" your coach and chassis info so we will all know what you have, thanks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto with others on the original valve. Just replaced mine last week after WH center showed me a typical brass ball valve. One other suggestion from them was to put one in each hose. I used the heavy duty gas water heater residential 1/2" valves found at Ace, Home Depot,etc. recognizable by yellow lever. Sure gets cold air fast!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #9

Any pictures available?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
eandy, did you see an decrease in AC air temp?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Jestme, I first posted on this w/more detail on the WH owners forum. The solution was pointed out @ Redlands when I got reprog done. K C Cummins is an outstanding guy who listens to complaint, goes in office and returns w/answer. Keith actually asked me to feel radiator hoses. The upper was near burning my hand, the lower very warm K C came out w/brass valve as sample as I'd said I'd do it myself. At that time dash a/c would only output hot. After fitting ball valves I get cold all the time.
Sorry, I don't seem to be able to post pics. Asked DriVer about it but his instructions don't seem to work and the permissions in "My Space" aren't checked. Would like to put pics up inc. my diy CAI but.....

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
It took me a while to figure the pic posting out. But I can understand how difficult it can be for a left coaster to figure out

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Pictures?

WE GOT PICTURES....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #14

ooops! See below.