Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Dash air question

My wife thinks our dash air is not cooling as good as it has before. With the outside temp about 90-95 we're getting readings at the dash vents of about 70-75. Should it be lower? Not sure what temp to expect. Roof units are not on.
Thanks,
Robert
2014 Tiffin 33AA
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best to compare temp near where the intake inside is to compare. Are you moving at 30mph or more or are you parked?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

Kahoona,
We are parked.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 07-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I usually top off my own before a trip. I have a little cheat sheet I use as a guide.

Outside air 90
Low 40-50psi
High 190-225psi
Center Vent Temp 44-50F

on max cold

Outside air 100
Center Vent Temp 52-60
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Kahoona,
We are parked.
Thanks,
Robert
I bet you will find that it improbes when under way as the engine RPM's increase. If you can get to a 30degree difference you may be doing as well as I ever did even after a complete maintenance including vacuum and fill to factory specs.

If you wish to add coolant you might want to get an AC manifold and automobile adapters. Amazon has for $40 or so. The pressures quoted by Greystroke are correct for most RV AC's. Watch a few youtubes. This may help.

https://www.vehicleairconservices.co...gauge_readings

Never turn the refrigerant can upside down to hurry things along. If you want to speed it up put it in a small bucket of ambient temp water.

Never overfill.
Do not use refrigerant with added oil or leak stop. Adding oil will reduce the efficiency.

Good luck.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Run your dash air on recirc if possible, instead of binging in hot fresh air an trying to cool that.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #7

Dash air question

If you are certain your compressor and refrigerant system are functioning and not leaking...Find where your condenser/ fan is mounted (mine was under/behind the front axle...see if the fan is running? If not, use a garden hose to squirt the condenser unit and check the dash air temp at the dash vent after 5 minutes of running water...if it gets cooler...you likely don’t have any issue other than the inoperative fan...replace it.
TMt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

I side with your wife. The supply temperate is pretty high. Difference between inside and outside should be more like 40F or even higher. Seems like an air conditioning service is in order.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Dash air question

Our dash air is 55 degrees, but there have been times that will not keep up with the heat load.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on your wife's side - it should get colder than 70's unless it is also 90's inside the RV. 35-40 degree drop is typical, I think.

x2 on re-circ vs outside air - big difference. Sometimes the outside air door stays open even though the control is set to re-circulate (aka MAX). That can be fixed.

Adding refrigerant is easy if that's the problem. Of course, that means there is a refrigerant leak somewhere and you will have to do it again until you get the leak fixed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #11

Just added 3 pounds Freon. All cool for last 24 hours. Hopefully it will hold through the summer. Techs couldn’t find any leaks. I stayed with them while they were working on it and if it’s leaking it must be where the lines are somewhere inside and can’t be seen.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli Lloyd View Post
When trying to start my 2003 part dx the engine will turn over but has problem doing so. I have noticed a blinking green light on the dash.
Do you have any idea regarding that?
Best to start your own thread. what's a "part dx"?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Just added 3 pounds Freon. All cool for last 24 hours. Hopefully it will hold through the summer. Techs couldn’t find any leaks. I stayed with them while they were working on it and if it’s leaking it must be where the lines are somewhere inside and can’t be seen.
3 pounds is a lot. The Denso factory manual shows my Freightliner chassis is filled with 3.8#.
Pretty big leak somewhere.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
3 pounds is a lot. The Denso factory manual shows my Freightliner chassis is filled with 3.8#.
Pretty big leak somewhere.
Unusual that you will read about an AC issue that doesn't require a whole recharge as it stops working when it's almost empty.
A big leak, or a small one that has been leaking awhile.

Hopefully they put some UV dye in the last recharge so they can find the leak.

Look at all hoses and connections and compressor seals for dirt buildup that is indicative of oil leaking out (with the freon) and attracting the dirt.

Tags
air, dash, dash air