Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

I have a 2005 Newmar Dutch star 3815. All the dash gauges are inop. Only thing works are the info lights and milage window. Had it in shop and they changed some computer module. Picked it up and everything worked. Went to start it up today and they are all inop again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

I have a 2005 Newmar Dutch star 3815. All the dash gauges are inop. Only thing works are the info lights and milage window. Had it in shop and they changed some computer module. Picked it up and everything worked. Went to start it up today and they are all inop again.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Believe it or not, the data for all of the gauges probably comes from engine area of the coach to the gauge area of the coach on a single pair of wires. The CAN (controller area network) that is used by the engine, transmission and chassis manufacturers allows data to be shared on a common bus.

I cannot speak about how Newar handles theirs but Freightliner has a box which is essentially an amplifer that hooks to the main wiring harness in the back. There is a connector there. In the front of the chassis, there is another connector for the "spider" harness that is individually laced out to each of the gauges. Provided that they are the same size (like the tach and the speedo) I can physically swap the connectors on the back of the gauges and each gauge continues to function normally. My guess is that Newmar uses similar wiring components.

How to I find out all of this? I had a highly intermittent speedometer problem that Freightliner was unable to fix in several times. Finally, I fixed it by concentrating on the connectors, not the components. I worked on mainframe computers for many years and my experience tells me that it is usually the mechanical (i.e. connectors)components rather than the electronic components that fail Particularly when you have something that works, then doesn't work, that is a good sign that it is a connection. Were I troubleshooting your problem on my chassis, I'd try to isolate the failure points to either end of the main chassis cable and to the two CAN data bus leads in it. There is usually a diagnostic connector which allows the tech to see the same information that the gauges see but it is displayed on a computer screen. In my case, the diagnostic connector is right where the spider harness plugs into the main harness. For your exact kind of problem, I purchased VMSpc which plugs into the diagnostic plug and can display the day on a computer screen the same as the tech can.

There are not many shops that have techs who are good at electronics, particularly at connections. Having them swap components, even under warranty, is probably not going to solve your problem for very long.

JMHO.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Our Monaco has a similar problem in that we may hit a bump and all the gauges go off and the engine dies. It will immediately restart. I have had two Monaco techs look at it and both state that they have fixed it. Not true. One stated that the connector under the dash was loose and rewired it. The other said that it was a loose wire in the engine compartment and fixed it. Kentucky roads will still cause the same problem. If I pull over, shut off and restart the engine, the computers reset them selves. I figure that it is a loose connection somewhere between the engine and the front and I have come to realize that it is a glitch that I will have to live with. Peace!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #5

sounds to me like the techs you had work on your coach just didn't know what they were doing.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #6

Sounds like a loose ground to the dash display unit.

Of course, my past is haunted by Fiats and British cars - where everything was either a loose ground or a bad gasket.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #7

Thanks guys for the info on my problem. I plan on taking it to a different shop, maybe they have a good tech. to trouble shoot the problem. Thanks again. Keith
Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #8

Found the problem>>>>> Was checking the connections back of dash. Moved one of the plugs that goes to the speed odometer and the gauges started working. unpluged and pluged it in a couple of times, but you moved it just right and the gauges would work. Called Spartan and they sent me a new speed odometer. That fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Keith