Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
I've only had to use auxiliary start a couple of times, once when a chassis battery went down. I did notice that when pushing the button (holding it in), I could see the voltage indicator reflect the addition of the house batteries... indication went from <12V to >12.5V. That's a good indication the house batteries are in the circuit.

taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBounder View Post
I may be missing something here. If the Aux battery switch is used to let the coach batteries start the coach in case of a dead chassis battery. what good is the switch if it requires a fully charged chassis battery??
TexasBounder
You will have to ask the coach builder who wired it that way.
(It makes no sense to me either but that's the way my Aux switch was wired by SMC).
However I can't ask SMC because SMC was bought by Monaco, (in 2000...which was sold to Navistar. in '09) and is now owned by ASC, (Allied Recreation Group), who knows very little about "real Safari coaches"...(aka: Safaris built before 2001).

BTW, 12 years ago I rewired my "boost solenoid" so that the house battery bank, (not the chassis battery), will activate the boost solenoid if I should need it.
Now the boost solenoid, (which connects the 2 battery banks while the "aux/boost switch" is pressed), will WORK even if/when the chassis battery is completely discharged.

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #17
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend to anyone that is not sure, next time you are servicing your coach batteries and have them disconnected, try your EMER START switch and see if the solenoid pulls in. Make sure your battery cables aren't shorted to ground when you do this.

Mine is wired that way also - Its power to energize the isolator solenoid is powered by the truck chassis battery.

The EMER START could be wired to be energized by the coach battery (or both), but this would require additional circuits to isolate the two sources that could now control the solenoid. ie. on my MH, what happens when I back feed the coach battery through the trucks alternator. (I need to think about this).

Keep in mind this EMER START can also be used if the coach battery is dead, and the generator won't start (my generator starts off the coach battery).

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mel and Waiter, you have verified that I am not crazy.. The engineers are crazy lol. I am going to perform the rewire to let the coach batteries operate the solenoid. I need to check as to which battery starts my generator and also get it on the coach circut. Thanks for your help !
TexasBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #19
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill, There are several different configurations out there, so I believe people may want to see how theirs is wired . That way at least they will know the strong points and weak points of their system.

Use caution on your re-wire. Mine may be different than yours. Here are my thoughts;

Maybe use a couple diodes to isolate the two sources that can energize the solenoid, the Alternator (or however the existing system energizes it) and the EMER START switch via the coach battery.

The diodes would need to be able to handle a couple amps, Maybe 10.

A better approach may be to attempt to energize the solenoid with both batteries. I may draw this one up:

Re-wireing the EMER START switch as a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) momentary switch (kind of like two switches in one). Connect the coach battery to one switch pole and the chassis battery to the other switch pole, The output of the two switches would be combined through two diodes to keep them isolated. Connect. The combined output would then be used to energize the solenoid. With this configuration, either/both batteries will attempt to energize the solenoid.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #20

Mel,
"Contentious duty" solenoid? ROFL.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
waiter21,
That looks like a great configuration that will prob work on my coach. thanks !
TexasBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBounder View Post
The chassis battery checked out at 9.8 VDC . would that be enough to pull in the armature ? This is a new chassis battery and I should mention that the coach was plugged into a 20 amp 120 power source when this happened. The coach batteries showed to be fully charged when I tried the Aux battery Switch.

Take 6" of wire and two alligator clips to bridge the two large terminals on the solenoid and the chassis battery will stay charged as well while in storage. Just don't forget it's there.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #23
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Take 6" of wire and two alligator clips to bridge the two large terminals on the solenoid and the chassis battery will stay charged as well while in storage. Just don't forget it's there.
Ted; I basically did this using a separate relay.

Keeping the truck battery charged while on shore power | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Tags
battery, dash