Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This is the second phase of the chassis upgrades that I am pursuing. The Davis TruTrak Bar was purchased from Hendersons Lineup in concert with a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer however I wanted to install the Davis bar first and observe its performance on its own merrits.

Davis Spring Adapter Plate

The fist of 3 components in the TruTrac Bar kit that we installed was the spring adapter plate. This piece comprises the right side anchor for the TruTrac Bar and was the most difficult to install. We removed the front spring nuts and washers using a 15/16 inch 1/2 inch drive deep socket and a breaker bar. Fortunately for us the nuts reluctantly came off. Once the plate was fitted under the spring and up on the U bolts in the position shown, we torqued the nuts out to the maximum of my torque wrench, 155 ft/lbs. After we clicked the wrench for the last time we applied the socket on the breaker bar and tightened both nuts an extra 1/2 turn. I guarantee these nuts are tight.

Davis Chassis Plate Adapter

The left side anchor was comprised of 2 pieces and was the easiest piece to install once we were able to hang it. The upper plate with the nuts welded on it needed a slight bit of manual machining because the bolts just didn't fit. Filing out the opening to the back plate nuts, we were able to thread up the bolts. Both of these bolts were tightened but not torqued. The entire assembly was loosely fitted and pushed back on the frame rail to the point where the Trac-Bar bushing was able to be loosely fitted in between the anchors and perpendicular as much as possible to one another. We used one of the anchor bolts and tightened it up going through the plate and the track bar bushing to assure that the bar was square in the anchor. Once we were satisfied with the alignment we finished out torquing the bolts to 85 ft/lbs.

Davis TruTrak Bar Installed

Having tightened the 2 left side chassis plate bolts, we snugged up the left side anchor bolt. We unscrewed the tie rod end on the right side of the bar and aligned it to the opening in the spring hanger. The 2nd anchor bolt was fitted from the rear when the bushing hole came into alignment with the plate holes. The anchor bolt nut was threaded on and snugged down. Both of those huge anchor bolts only require that they be tightened to the point where there is no excessive pressure against the track bar adapter ears. When the track bar is held and twisted back and forth in your hands, the bar should slightly rotate. This proceedure proves that the anchor bolts aren't too tight. The jam nut on the tie rod was then secured as tight as we could get it with doubled up open end wrenchs.

Davis TruTrac Bar - Front View

Driving Impressions

Not quite as remarkable in my opinion as the Super-Steer Track-Bar ride & drive, the Davis TruTrac Bar provided a increased level of driving comfort that wasn't previously available. Operating the motorhome with the Davis installed I found that I wasn't applying additional corrective steering quite as much as without the bar, and the Davis does help the front end of the motorhome track down the road with less driving effort.

My base observation is that the Davis does little for directional stability as it does for removing the previously experienced side to side motion that would be felt while driving the motorhome under various conditions. This side to side motion required at times additional steering input that at the end of the day was more like work than relaxing and enjoying the ride.

The Davis does a good job in stabilizing the front axle to chassis movements as they were previously experienced by both my son and myself. Entering a right or left hand sweeping turn on the Interstate at speed makes me feel more in command and gives me additional confidence that I can control the turn without feeling any movement in the steering wheel.

The installation was worth it however like I said in my opening comments it is not the night & day difference experienced by me when I installed the Henderson Super-Steer Track Bar. Completing the 3rd phase of my chassis upgrade I will eventually get the Safe-T-Plus hung and on-line and we'll certainly carry the article forward as soon as I can get the device installed.

Gary at Henderson's Lineup suggested that both components should be installed together to realize the maximum benefit to the front axle and I am anxious to complete the installation having put on a thousand miles on the Davis alone. At the end of the day concluding this 2nd phase of the installation I can say that I arrived home somewhat less fatigued.

If you need more information or help with a specific problem, call
(800) 245-8309 or
(541) 479-2882
(541) 476-3851 Fax
e-mail: www.hendline@hendersonslineup.com

or send a note to:
Henderson's Line-Up
417 Marion Lane
Grants Pass, OR 97527

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 "¢ 22.5" Tire "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 "¢ Robert Yates Racing "¢ 38
</font color>

[This message was edited by DriVer on Mon June 23 2003 at 05:44 PM.]
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2003, 03:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My conclusions about the Davis bar are identicle to yours. I'm looking forward to your Saf-T-Plus install and report. By the way, I could not see your Henderson bar in your posted picture, is it just not visible in that photo or did you remove it for the Davis bar test?

Terry

Terry & Linda; plus LeMeiux & Hurakan the Burmese cats
'03 Kountry Star 3740 W22, US Gear Unified tow brake, Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar, '02 Jeep Wrangler
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
I could not see your Henderson bar in your posted picture, is it just not visible in that photo or did you remove it for the Davis bar test?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I just updated the Henderson Track Bar thread bringing it forward ...

The reason you can't see the Henderson Super-Steer Track Bar is because it's over the top of the rear axle and it's basically out of sight if you try to see it from the front to the rear.

The Safe-T-Plus will be installed behind the front axle between the axle and the tie rod.

Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>

[This message was edited by DriVer on Mon June 23 2003 at 04:58 PM.]
Old 06-30-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

DriVer,

What is the torque spec on the W22 front spring U bolts?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark & Marie:
What is the torque spec on the W22 front spring U bolts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mark; According to Safe-T-Plus they said 200 ft/lbs according to Davis they said 150 ft/lbs. What I did is click off the torque wrench at 150 ft/lb and then we went another 1/2 turn.

That should cover the bases however if you want an absolute rating I can get that tommorrow

Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>

[This message was edited by DriVer on Mon June 30 2003 at 08:36 PM.]
Old 07-01-2003, 05:48 AM   #6

I will just go with the 200 ft/lbs unless I hear otherwise. I will be putting on a Safe T Plus this weekend and I did not see where the instructions specified torque on those nuts. I will look again.

Thank you for your help,
Mark
Old 07-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark & Marie:
... I did not see where the instructions specified torque on those nuts. I will look again...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mark, Here's what I have, an instruction sheet dated 5/10/02 by RGS.
Step #2 re: Leaf Spring U-Bolt passenger's side... ... re-install the washers and nuts which should be torqued to 200 ft/lbs. minimum.

Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 07-05-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect you get the lion's share of handling improvement with whichever track bar you install first. Either one will significantly reduce side sway and leaves only a modest improvement to be achieved with the second one.

I have installed a Safe-T-Plus on previous rigs and found little road handling benefit at all under normal driving conditions. That's consistent with their claims, by the way. I'll be anxious to hear what you think.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:49 AM   #9

Any luck finding time for the Safe-T-Steer test?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Any luck finding time for the Safe-T-Steer test?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mark & Marie, Actually I have the Safe-T-Plus system and I haven't had the time to install it just yet but I'm still working in it.

I want to accomplish the install in conjunction with an FEA so that I can guarantee that the STP will be bolted dead on center. Plus I still must have my steering wheel centered. (Zero out the box)

Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 11-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Any luck finding time for the Safe-T-Steer test?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wrote a brief review in this thread.

Fitting the Final Piece - The Safe-T-Plus ....

Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will "¢ 343 "¢ Never Forget"</font color>

</font color>
Old 11-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
·
Old 11-29-2003, 03:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill and Thea:
...Thinking about extra pressure on the steering pump... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When you are going down the road, 95% of the time, there is relatively little to no boost assist from the pump. I feel no impeded movement in the steering gear with the STP even in a hard over turn.

The folks at Workhorse are not concerned that you'll blow up the steering pump but you could check with Workhorse Customer Support if you like. Call customer service: 1-877-246-7731.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:33 AM   #14

I just installed the Davis Trutrack bar and had the same problem with the frame plate bolt holes not lining up. I had to grind 1/4" off the side of the plate. Also Drivers installation photos are much better than the manufacturers instructions. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet!