Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Daylight Running Lights

Hi all,
We have a 1997 HR vacationer Ford F53 chassis. Very few problems, we love our MH. Sunday we parked it and shut it off. Daylight Running lights (DRL) decide to stay on. I have tried everything to shut them off. I removed the fuse, disconnected the DRL module with no success. This is where it gets really weird, I turn off the Chassis disconnect they stay on, I turn off the House disconnect they turn off.

Where are they getting their power from through the house circuit? Can anyone help, I am baffled.

Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It may be possible that a screw has finally rubbed its way into the wiring to short the circuit to a house battery circuit. Pulling a fuse at a time may give you an indication on where to start looking when it goes out on a particular fuse pulled. Let us know what you find.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Its not unheard of that it was improperly wired at the factory. Recently saw a coach where they wired all of the house functions to the chassis and the rest to the house batteries. The owner kept wondering why his battery went dead in just a matter of minutes while dry camping.

My guess is the DDL are wired to the house side of the 12v system and you have a stuck relay somewhere in the line.
2004 HR Ambassador 38PDQ
ImagesByHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume your DRL and headlights are the same bulb.

Regardless, somehow the coach batteries are feeding into the 12v side of the bulb connection.

Do you have an alarm that flashes the headlights when armed? The control may gave gone bad.

Are you sure it is the low beam filament, because it could be the high beam switch is stuck on.

Also, with both batteties disconnected, turn on the chassis batteries.
Are the headlights working....AND do you get 12v inside for the house lights?
Maybe the aux start relay is tying both batteries together.

One thing to try is disconnect your coach battery. Then connect a 12v source to thd headlight and ground. The headlight will come on, but you should also have 12v to everything inside the coach (if it is a shorted wire).

Start pulling fuses from the coach fuse panel until you lose 12v inside the coach. Whatever that fuse is for is the circuit that is shorted.....that might help you find it.

Very strange to have two hot wires shorted....usually it is a short to ground.

Good Luck,
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
I have had that happen on a car NOT a MH. It is the symptom of a failed DR light module. for whatever reason, when the module fails the lights will come on or flicker on and off randomly draining the battery.
Bob and Karen. Getting ready to begin a new journey!
1999 Southwind 35S on a F-53 chassis our first class A
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
That issue was supposed to have been handled back when the coach was under warranty. In a nutshell the fix was to disable the module/DTR. I don't have the specifics, but there will be some wiring mods necessary to put you back into business.

Until then, do you have a master disconnect for your chassis batteries?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights