Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Why would you want to turn them off???

There is NO benefit in them turned off.
Maybe not on the road.... you aught to listen to the cussing at the boat ramps when you are trying to back up and the DRLs are blinding other people trying to back up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Cliff,
DRLs being on does not turn on the tail lights. To me it's more important to have tail lights on in the rain. So, even though I have DRLs, I turn the lights on with the switch when it's raining.
Good point. I actually drive the MH with my lights on. I was referring to Fl law.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3669757944.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	40929

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is a great discussion. However, how we personally feel about the OP's request, questioning his reasons or discussing statistics/regulations isn't answering his question.

Let's please focus back on that, for those that might know, & take the debate over the specifics to a new thread.

Thank you,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Please provide the reference for the study/statistics you refer to,
Sure...

IIHS-HLDI

"Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide from 1995 to 2001, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists. 8 However, a 2008 federal study concluded that DRLs have no significant effect on either of these crash types. 9"

Note that DRLs and the associated findings are different than the studies regarding "lights/wipers on" for specific circumstances.

Apparently, the findings are related to contrast and the types/intensity of lighting used for DRLs.

Are car daytime running lights detrimental to motorcycle conspicuity? and other recent studies are showing pedestrians and cyclists are having some reaction time problems in determining whether they are viewing DRLs or active turn signals.

"Highlights

► Car daytime running lights have a detrimental effect on motorcycle conspicuity. ► Car daytime running lights also hamper the perception of cyclists and pedestrians. ► Motorcyclists were detected better than pedestrians, who were detected better than cyclists. ► Attention should be paid to vulnerable users when introducing car daytime lights."

Another study is recommending the use of "white only" for DRL.

Yes ... I am aware the sun shines in areas other than Florida.

Also from IIHS-HLDI (bold is my emphasis).
"Where are DRLs required? Laws in Canada and many European countries require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. Canada requires vehicles made after Dec. 1, 1989, to be equipped with DRLs. The European Union requires DRLs for new cars and small vans under a law that took effect in February 2011. New trucks and buses in the EU must have DRLs starting in August 2012.
No U.S. state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather."

Quite possibly a hybrid of "Automatic Headlights" and "Daytime Running Lights" will be a future strategy.

At Administrator request, I'm done ...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
This is a great discussion. However, how we personally feel about the OP's request, questioning his reasons or discussing statistics/regulations isn't answering his question.

Let's please focus back on that, for those that might know, & take the debate over the specifics to a new thread.

Thank you,
Lori-
Point taken , sorry we got carried away.
Skip.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Thank you,
Lori-
I don't agree & I think you are missing the point. If someone asks advice on how to dismantle any safety device built into their RV....then I feel it is important and responsible for members to question and, if necessary, debate the pros & cons of such a decision.

JMO... But please do not over- moderate...this thread is on-topic & relevant to "safety" which is an important topic to be discussed.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1234w View Post
I have a new 2013 View Profile. I would like to turn off the daytime running lights. The Mercedes owners manual says to turn the key to the 2nd position and push the M (menu) button until the headlamp icon appears. Then turn it to the off position. No luck. I haven't seen the icon unless I'm driving. I don't particullary care for the parking, clearance, and low beams to be running all the time in the daylight. Has anyone conquered this feat?

Thanks................Tommy
Not a complete answer but may be of some help:

Daytime running lamps on '13 Era - Sprinter-Forum

BTW, have you tried contacting Winnie?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #22

OK then back on subject. When you are in the " Menu " as you scroll through, make sure all your settings are correct. If the country setting is wrong, ( other than USA ) the program may not allow the DRL to be dis abled .
Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
In countries that have less sunlight (like Scandinavian countries) the benefit is much higher.
From early May until late August, Sweden’s sun brightens the night and lengthens your sightseeing days. In fact, June and July sunrise comes at 3:40 and sets about 10:00. Northern countries get more light than on the equator.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The OP still hasn't answered the question as to why he wants to turn them off. Other than he doesn't care to have them on I guess.

Personally, I can see a vehicle coming a lot further down the road when they have DRL's on. I see a lot more merits to this than I do a downside.

Hey wait a minute......I don't see a downside at all!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I don't agree & I think you are missing the point. If someone asks advice on how to dismantle any safety device built into their RV....then I feel it is important and responsible for members to question and, if necessary, debate the pros & cons of such a decision.

JMO... But please do not over- moderate...this thread is on-topic & relevant to "safety" which is an important topic to be discussed.
I'm with you on that.....
Also the comment "... but if you can't see a 38' long X 12' high vehicle I doubt that having headlights on at reduced power will make any difference."
You will see pretty much every highway truck with all the lights on whether it be in Canada or the U.S. So why should a Motorhome be any different?
Doesn't matter what I operate..............It's ALL lit up. The more the better!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
[moderator edit]
Airplanes were once required to turn on their landing lights when within 10 miles of an airport (1980) so that other planes could see them. Strobes etc. just didn't work. Now they are required to fly with their lights on all the time.

When I try to pass I can see you coming from a farther distance away and have a better chance to make a correct decision. It is for your safety as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
WHY would you want to turn off the DRL's.. They are a safety feature. They make your vehicle easier to see and thus easier to avoid.
Is that why I was run off the road by two semi's BEFORE I disabled the DRL's and it's never happened since?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Is that why I was run off the road by two semi's BEFORE I disabled the DRL's and it's never happened since?
I think you're on to something here.....only in my case I was being run off the road by soccer moms driving mini vans. Once I removed my bumper sticker it stopped?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3677553044.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	41750  

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights